Could this be a genuine 65?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Blacksheep, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Member

2. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

Someone could have slapped a batwing on there cuz they like them.

3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Nope, it's a '68. neck heel confirms that. Large guards don't appear until 1967..the alleged '66s are truly early '67's...
    Probably got a '65 harness off ebay when it got refinished.
    There's 13 of 'em at any given time, so very easy to drop an earlier harness in..I could put a 1960 harness in my '76 Deluxe, wouldn't make it a 1960..
    So many SGs from this era get misrepresented..
    Note how seller says "Circa 1965" THEY KNOW IT"S NOT!!

4. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Member

Thanks Kris. The "circa" did make me suspicious. I was initially tempted but I'm really after a player-grade Cream-era SG, so I'll just have to be patient.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

No prob..I'd hate to see someone get screwed..I used to blast these sellers, and hammer them with facts until they corrected their listing..and I always state I have no vested or financial interest in their sale, just that it should be represented properly..but as of late, it seems all 69-71 large guards are either '66, or '68s..when based on the actual production numbers, is false. It would wear you out correcting all of these idiots..I don't have the energy to do so anymore, unless it's just a total crock. A decent seller would listen to facts and adjust the sale listing to be truthful..

That would be a good one, but priced the same as a no issue one, plus, solid color refin's make me nervous, as you NEVER know what ugliness is hiding underneath!
    Problem is, a white SG Standard would have to be a refin..as they were only offered in cherry..until mid/late '69, when they came out in Walnut brown..

6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member