Cost of good refinish/relic?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by kmasters68, Jul 30, 2017.

1. kmasters68

kmasters68 Senior Member

Greetings! I recently bought a 1967 special at a decent price and I love the way it plays and sounds. The single p90 is a growler.

The only downside is that it sports an amateur rattle can lacquer job refinish. Aside from that, it has replacement tuners and tailpiece (all parts).

I bought this guitar as a player and I'm sure I already know my answer- just play that player, Player.

But the other part of me is pained that the refinish is just OK; its not a train wreck but its not pro at all. I think I could sink another $500 into this and still be in the break even range (less if I upgrade the tailpiece).

So, if I was going to have it refinished and the aged with checking; what would that run me and who in the forum is the guy to contact? I can't wing a Murphy on this little bugger, unfortunately.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. kmasters68

kmasters68 Senior Member

PS, It was recently refretted and had a new nut cut as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

IS Junior, no?
    [​IMG]

NICE 00 series one at that..I'd ditch the modern Gibson decal too..

Maybe HM?

4. kmasters68

kmasters68 Senior Member

Thanks for the info Kris. So they were Jrs back then good to know! If it weren't for the original P-90 being present, I don't think I'd been looking through this door.

Yeah, the modern decal is a bit of a bummer too. All in all a great little guitfiddle. I never seem to be able to help myself around vintage guitars that have modifications. I always want it back to spec. My gut tells me to just leave it as is. My sentimental heart and head wants the proper refinish.

For reference, I paid $1000 for this, so I didn't steal it. There is a little room for upgrades without getting upside down.

Kris Ford likes this.
  5. kmasters68

kmasters68 Senior Member

I've gotten some great advice from Austin from Trogly guitars. He was nice enough to message me with information that is very helpful. Props to Trogly!

That said, I'm still on the fence about the practicality of it. Then Trogly suggested an aged Pelham blue.:wow:

Now I'm really gnawing on that one...