Converting plain top to goldtop?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by kidtwist, Jun 5, 2017.

1. kidtwist

kidtwist Member

I have a True Historic R8 plain top. I love it the way it plays and sounds but I really want a Goldtop. Rather than go out and buy a Goldtop historic, I was toying with the idea of having it refinished as a Goldtop (and redo the binding at the same time).

Who would be best to do such a job? I've looked at Historic Makeovers website and it looks like they have two packages available. Maybe even the standard package would be overkill for what I'm looking for. Also if it were possible I'd like to have it done some place close by (I'm in Southern California) so I didn't have top ship the guitar somewhere.

2. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

HM do the whole deal - it's worth it if you want to go that way as you will end up with a phenomenal guitar, but if you simply want the top resprayed in gold, or even for that matter a total respray I think they are a little over the top, and I suspect they actually wouldn't do the respray on its own - no harm in asking though.

3. kidtwist

kidtwist Member

Thank you. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. Probably just buy a Goldtop at some point.

4. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

Yeah, if the whole HM package isn't what you're after, you can find used R7's for the same or less than an HM package will cost you. If I had the money and it was a toss up between those two options, I'd buy the second historic every time!

5. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

If your REALLY love that particular R8, and plan on keeping it forever, mod it to your delight. Otherwise you are going to just throw a lot of money away. An R8 sells for ~$500 more than a comparable R7 to begin with, but a modded R8 will be worth even less. My $ .02.