Conversion Candidate

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by axehandler, Nov 10, 2017.

1. axehandler

axehandler Senior Member

This is a 1953 GT, re-necked and refinished by Gibson in 1961. I love the finish, but I'm thinking of converting it to an abr with a stop bar. Can the existing finish be salvaged if the neck is reset? Can it just be shimmed? I might have it routed for humbuckers too. All of the electronics were updated to 1961 electronics so the pots are already 500K.

Any luthiers in California that could do it?
    The entire guitar black lights to an awesome green.

If I have to refinish it, this is the look I want.
    59 les paul.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Yes, yes and yes. I wholeheartedly approve!

3. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

I think it looks killer as is. Good luck with whatever you decide, though.

Kris Ford and Wolf ^_^ like this.
  4. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Just my opinion, but since it's already a refin, etc., I would go for all the alterations you want and consider them improvements, not detriments. I don't like winey-red guitars at all and love that burst top you picture, so I'd do that in an instant. And since I dislike those trapeze tailpieces, I would consider a switch to a stopbar/ABR or wraptail a big plus. Ruting for HBs rather than P90's? Yup. Others will totally disagree, for equally good reasons. So do what you want. If the guitar were all original, I think it would be different. But it isn't.

pepe pereira and NewLeaf09 like this.
  5. axehandler

axehandler Senior Member

who in CA?

6. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

I'd suggest you try a Mojoaxe bridge first.

And I'm a fan of original P90s.

RAG7890 likes this.
  7. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

I'd say keep the P90s. I think the wine red finish is cool and adds to the guitar's history, but it is understandably not everyone's cup of tea.

Roman Rist is always the name that comes to mind when I think of CA, but he's usually a pretty busy guy, from what I remember.

8. axehandler

axehandler Senior Member

Thx, I too like the P90s. I have the Mojoaxe on it now, but the picture I posted is from before I put it on. It works well, but I think I'm ready to make the guitar a little better. I would like to keep the finish if I have the neck reset though. Also, looking for some advice on who in CA could do the work?

9. axehandler

axehandler Senior Member

Thanks, I will check with him and see if he's interested. Is he a member here?

10. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

He is, but I just checked and it looks like he hasn't been active for a long while now. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in with some sort of contact info for him.

11. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

That guitar has some neat history. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Jumping@shadows likes this.
  13. mapleflame

mapleflame Senior Member

I haven't posted in a while, but many know I have done conversions, many salvage projects, and restorations ect... This is your guitar to do as you please, but with my experience, there are so few factory refins that come up and that are out there, especially 52-54 Standards. The provenance of this, cool factor up the roof, and with a trap bar replacement, this guitar can and would Stand on its own merits. I personally would leave it alone. If your looking for a Burst Conversion, but one as is. You cannot recreate 50 plus years of Gibson factor work no matter who does the work. There are so many guitars out there available. Leave History alone

dwagar likes this.
  14. axehandler

axehandler Senior Member

You're right. I have struggled a little with the idea of modifying this guitar. The glaser bridge works well, but you can't always bend the strings without it cutting out a little. The frets are original and still in good shape. I might try having the fretboard plek'd to see if that makes a difference. I appreciate your input.

crosstownblues likes this.
  15. scmavl

scmavl Senior Member

I'd change as little as possible. I LOVE that finish and thinks it pops even more with the P90s. I'd go for a wraptail and whatever neck work you've got to do to make it play right. Awesome guitar!