Conversion bushings.

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by jeggz, Aug 31, 2017.

1. jeggz

jeggz Senior Member

What do you guys think of em?

I'm thinking of taking the Grovers off Howie, and putting some modern repro 3 on a plate Klusons on.

Plus?

Minus?

Who likes this.
  2. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Premium Member

I like the way the classic jr tuners look. Plus its nice they weigh about half as much.

jeggz likes this.
  3. jeggz

jeggz Senior Member

IMG_1346.JPG

I could split the difference and go with these here Tonepros?

4. deadlyweasel

I'd either go accurate and get 3 on a plate or just leave the grovers over those tonepros but that's just me.

jeggz likes this.
  5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

They only work if the holes were reamed nice n square..if a mess..then leaving Grovers has always been it for me...plus I feel Grovers add something to a Junior, and I DESPISE the circular dents left by the Grover washers..looks awful IMSHO...

I have left every Grovered vintage piece I have ever had..I felt they were part of it's history..

jeggz and RevWillie like this.
  6. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

I prefer the three-on-a-plate look on guitars that had them originally. Grovers do have their upside in terms of functionality, though.

If the holes were completely and fairly cleanly reamed out, I would actually fill them. I did this with a '52 ES-125 a few years ago without having to do any drilling. I'll see if I can find a link, but there was someone on eBay selling wooden cylinders that were specifically machined for this purpose (10.5 mm outer diameter and proper inner diameter for the original Klusons). They were also cut to just the right length for a Gibson headstock. I just glued those in, let it dry and then the three-on-a-plate tuners just dropped right in and the original bushings cover the thin ring of new wood. Conversions bushing work nicely, but I've yet to find any that have the proper bevel (proper term is escaping me) for a Junior (as opposed to a Special or a Standard).

I don't mind the ring left by the washers as long as it hasn't been pressed deeply into the veneer.

Don't do the TonePros thing or I'll start a thread on the other forum badmouthing you. :laugh2:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  7. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

This is a really good point. The conversion bushings will center your string posts on the current holes' locations. With individual tuners, that's not a big deal, but with strip/plate tuners, if the holes got enlarged for the Grovers crudely (like by filing out one side of the hole more than the other), then your three-in-a-row posts may not sit cleanly in the conversion bushings. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the alignment and spacing from hole-to-hole-to-hole got screwed up with the Grover install, then you'd need to fill and re-drill the holes. I'd still give it a shot, as I like the weight savings it entails.

8. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Juniors (and EVEN SOME Specials..I have a pic at home!) use a GROMMET type bushing..literally (and probably was!) a grommet that was used on tarps or something..I have some that look EXACT, though much smaller..with my leathersmithing stuff..
    [​IMG]
    Part of the look IMSHO.
    So those sleeves would probably be the best bet for those to be used..and if bought as grommets..MUCH cheaper..

9. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

I've seen so many of these and it never dawned on me that the Juniors had different bushings -- sort of one of those things where they looked "right" and I never realized they were, in fact different. Is anybody even making those style ones as new parts?

10. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Some Specials too! I'll post the pic that's on my home PC later.
    No..but betcha a search for "grommets"or "eyelets" would yield some good results!

deadlyweasel, jeggz and kakerlak like this.
  11. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Suddenly tempted to go down to the fabric store and see what they've got on the wall. The fact that this kind of stuff proves exciting probably reveals it's a sickness! :laugh2:

deadlyweasel and Kris Ford like this.
  12. jeggz

jeggz Senior Member

I'd LOVE to get a hold of those!

bossaddict and Kris Ford like this.
  13. deadlyweasel

This is why I'm keeping grovers on my 59' special project the holes are all over the place.... I swear whoever repaired this back in the day was drunk/blind....

jeggz and Kris Ford like this.
  14. bossaddict

There's an eBay seller that goes by oldguitarparts that sells some aged version of the grommet (thanks for feeding me the right term, @Kris Ford) style ferrules.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=152650895812

That doesn't solve the conversion issue, though. I can't seem to find the seller that I got those wooden ones from and my purchase history only goes back to 2015. You could probably go to wood craft and order some dowel and then just cut it to the proper lengths. Maybe. The others have brought up a good point about the holes for the on-a-plate tuners needing to be lined up properly...

Kris Ford and jeggz like this.
  15. bossaddict

Here's a side-by-side to show the difference in the ferrules.

Junior (L) - Special (R)
    DSC_0031.JPG DSC_0048.JPG

As Kris said, some Specials seem to have had the grommet style, but I'm not aware of the opposite being true.

16. bossaddict

More clear from a different angle...

DSC_0033.JPG DSC_0004.JPG

17. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

18. bossaddict

19. jeggz

jeggz Senior Member

Maybe I'll just swap out these gigantic 70s Grovers for newer mid sized or mini Grovers.

I'm really just looking to lighten the headstock a touch.

Kris Ford likes this.
  20. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Here's that Special with the grommets.
    35545818906_8d1622a5bc_b.jpg