Consult roller bridge

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by henrymanhattan, Apr 19, 2017.

1. henrymanhattan

henrymanhattan Junior Member

Hi everyone, I do not know if I'm posting in the right place. I'm not sure if the roller bridge is effective or not? I mean, I do not know if in the long run they will hold the strings more and they will break less than with the normal tune or matic brought by the paul. Someone who has put it and can give me opinion? Thanks ... attached image of the bridge I commented Seller aliexpress.

2. TradPro2

TradPro2 Senior Member

Hi Henry, I have both a roller bridge and roller nut installed and I would never go back to non roller. Think about it, there is no sticking or binding anywhere, no bandaid approaches to nut problems like graphite and lubes need, just constantly stable.
    Bends return back to without stick shun perfectly. Don't be afraid of considering a roller nut ($50) in addition to the bridge. I had my guitar center tech install mine, no modification, no wood removal was required as it fit perfectly except for needing a tiny amount of metal shaved off the bottom of the nut so that it sat lower.

3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The nut is BY FAR the largest cause of tuning issues.
    A roller bridge is pretty much a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.....unless you have a bigsby you constantly use.

I have ABR and Nashville guitars that stay in tune really well and have never broken strings....as do plenty of other players. Its usually the slots in the bridge and nut being poorly executed that are the issue.

4. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

There's nothing *wrong* with putting a roller bridge on your guitar, though it won't "hold the strings more," nor will it break the strings less (I break about one string a year, but that's usually because I've left the strings to rust on a guitar I haven't used for a while). A roller nut might keep your strings in tune a bit better if you currently have a nut that allows the strings to bind in the slots. But as ARandall puts it, a roller bridge is a solution to a problem that really doesn't exist. Shorter version? It's probably a waste of money.