Consensus on locking tuners for a LP

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Hamtone, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

???

I have never had any, but they look to be pretty cool. Those who have them do they slip or are they more stable than winds?

2. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

I have four guitars with locking tunners...

two PRS, which come with them and, my LP and MM have planet waves on them...

the planet waver are very stable and you can really dial in pitch of the string to a very fine degree...some people dislike that you can pull the strings out of them but, it takes a lot of strength and I can not imagine a situation where that would happen unless you are purposely trying to pull them out...

the PRS ones are not as fine but work very well....

one day I plan on having planet waves on all my guitars but, it is on my very long to do list...it really is about ease and string changes become significantly quicker and much less a hassle...

overall my experince would suggest they are as good as or better then typical tunners...

3. Raz59

Raz59 Senior Member

[​IMG]

The thumb wheel looks cool and it doesn't have the obscenely long tuning post that is associated with other tuners. And I would have had those if they came out earlier...so I settled for your standard nickel Grovers :(

4. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

I put locking Grovers on my '77. They work perfectly and do not slip. Changing strings is a breeze. My PRS came with locking tuners stock.

My only question is why LPs don't come with locking tuners as stock?

5. Alvinfan

Alvinfan Senior Member

I have Sperzels on a couple of mine. It works great and makes string changing so much easier. I also have tonepros on a SG to keep the vintage look :
    TonePros-Kluson

6. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

They're exactly the same. I've got Sperzel lockers on some LP type guitar headstocks, standard Gotohs and the like on others. There's no difference in terms of tuning stability whatsoever. The Sperzels are a bit quicker to swap a string on. That's it.

7. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

I just need some in gold with this right angle screw hole

[​IMG]

Or matches the original gotoh holes

8. Jason

Jason Senior Member

How far are your guys' guitars slipping out of tune? I don't have the best ears or the best digital tuner, but none of my cheapo guitars slip out of tune as far as I can tell. Not only that, but tuning is always a compromise so you can't really say it's ever really "in tune", can you? I dunno, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the situation, not trying to be a smart ass.

9. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

Im modifying an lp and saw these as an option, so when I asked if they slipped out of tune etc, I was asking how good are lockers compared to wrapping your strings. :naughty:

10. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

I've never had a guitar that slipped out of tune regularly. I have seen a bunch of guitars with the strings so poorly wrapped that it was amazing they ever stayed in tune. Locking tuners are no more "stable" that regular tuners they just make it really easy to change strings.

11. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

Thats what i wanted to know if they were more less the same whatever, I change my strings a lot and when Im playing out I change then right before sound check of every gig

12. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Ah, gotcha now. It's a mystery to me! I would think they'd be helpful if you had one of these and were going for absolute tuning perfection:

[​IMG]

13. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Those frets keep making me rub my eyes :D

14. Raz59

Raz59 Senior Member

[​IMG]

15. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

The original tuners that come on an 80s les paul, the vintage looking ones, will the screw hole on a grover fit?

All Im really up to is trying to replace the chrome with gold, and the joker before me installed schallers and drilled a 3rd hole in the headstock. Im also quite tight about spending 110 for a set of gold tuners, it makes me want to vomit a bit.

16. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

I cant tell is that screw hole the same as the schaller? I see a good price on these at wd

17. Raz59

Raz59 Senior Member

[​IMG]

18. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

You my friend are a handy guy, thanks:thumb:

19. Raz59

Raz59 Senior Member

I just hope it helps! Cheers mate :thumb:

20. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

Looks as though I will have to stick with the regular schallers because the screw holes. Oh well stew mac has a great price on them, thanks again everyone.