Conn Les Paul copy

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by truetone6, Nov 4, 2013.

1. NRVPaul

NRVPaul Senior Member

Looks like plywood.....But if it plays nice who cares.

2. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

At the top of the neck pickup rout it looks like ply but at the bottom and in the bridge rout you can see a maple cap under a laminated veneer glued to the mahogany back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PermissionToLand and truckermde like this.
  3. emerald81

emerald81 Senior Member

Nice guitar, I think the top could be alder and some plywood then (I see ┬┐two? caps of laminated wood or something like).

Looks fine condition. Congrats.

1 person likes this.
  4. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

Thanks! Here is a CONN Les Paul in Studio A at Bass Propulsion Labratories in Dallas(recording studio owned by Todd Pipes of "Deep Blue Something")

[​IMG]

Clayton Ferrell(Hedgehog and Frog) recording with the CONN at BPL

[​IMG]

5. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Badass!

I've had several Conn (brass) instruments over the years, but I didn't even know they made guitars! Those all look great, and I'll bet they are.

Now I want one of these, too. Damnit!

6. ben_zep

ben_zep Junior Member

i knew someone who had a conn
    pretty good instrument from what i saw and heard

7. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

I think the best description I can give on the construction of these Les Paul copies is to picture that thin plywood top removed from the guitar, then what your left with is a solid wood guitar body that resembles a LP Jr. These "bent ply tops" are just there to mimick the shape of a real Gibson Lp's expensive thick solid carved maple cap.

I've got two of the heralded Ibanez lawsuit les pauls and they don't have that much wood beneath the top like this Conn. The Conn has the same "bent ply top" as the Ibanezs but underneath it has that nice piece of solid wood filler where normally there would be a void. Now if it that solid piece extends below the bridge and stoptail and not just the pickup area, then thats a treat. Give it a good old knock a few inches beneath the tailpiece and see if it sounds hollow or not.

8. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

Thanks for the post! Yes,below is a photo of the Ibanez 2386 which has a setneck but a bent plywood top which is hollow

[​IMG]

The Conn has solid wood between the top and mahogany back

[​IMG]

It looks(and sounds) solid. But there is some plywood around the neck as you can see in these photos below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PermissionToLand likes this.
  9. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

Very cool pic of the Ibanez 2386! I have an equivalent to that model which is just devoid of the Ibanez logo. It has a very cavernous interior, yet despite this un-Les Paul like construction, sounds excellent and only weighs a tad over 8lbs. Here's some pics of the pickup cavity and the whole guitar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With that being said, there is at least one owner who told me his Ibanez 2386 has a filler portion of plywood under the bent ply top. Very similar to what Aria Pro II did on some of it's Les Paul copies.....and seemingly similar to what you have going on with the Conn. It was called a "solidified hollow-less body" See link below for the catalog pic showing this.
    Catalog Image

10. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

11. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

12. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfaKj5RH76A]T. Rex in Concert - March 18, 1972, 5:30pm Show - YouTube[/ame]
    [​IMG]

13. hardangerfjol

hardangerfjol Senior Member

interesting construction but hard to see and to be sure about the details.
    at one point i thought i saw a two layered solid body...also as stated its obviously different from the usual ibanez type ply top...

food for thought indeed !

h.

14. LarryC

LarryC Junior Member

Nectro thread,but I just picked up one of these Conn Les Pauls and I couldn't be happier.I noticed that one pictured doesn't have the CONN inlay on the fretboard. Anyway,I found it interesting about the "solidified" hollowbody design.

15. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

I think what we're seeing at the neck is just the wood grain going horizontal, making it look like ply/laminate. I don't think any guitar exists that would have a half solid wood and half ply cap (not talking about the bent ply top here, but the cap beneath), split across the width of the body. Just doesn't make sense.

16. Uncle Salty

Uncle Salty Senior Member

If the mini switch is hooked up to the Dimarzio it probably came with the pickup.

Dimarzio called it a Dual Sound humbucker. It is a super distortion at heart