Congratulate me boys! I gots me a Vox AC15C1!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Guitar Rod, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Liquid State

Liquid State Premium Member

simple answer - I like the AC10 a lot. It fits it's purpose. Small and light weight valve amp with great Vox tone.

Only reason I flipped the AC15 is because it is insanely heavy for a 15w amp. Was about the same weight as a Fender Blues Deluxe I had at 40w (which was more volume than I ever needed, literally knock stuff off the walls loud). Loved the tone and features, but lugging it around was a bitch.

Ignoring the weight - the AC15 is nicer in all aspects. Real spring reverb (usable digital on the AC10), great tremelo, so much more head room, better eq options, and it can be set cleaner and then dirtier than the AC10. It's a "real amp" vs. a jam box.

All that said, the AC10 is a great little amp. Real deal vox tone in a grab and go format without sounding boxy. I dont think I will ever git rid of it (and I flip a lot of gear) simply because the tone/convenience factor is so good.

Guitar Rod likes this.

2. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

The AC10 being 20 lbs lighter was a big attraction, but I just park and play them anyway. No lugging to gigs or jams. Yet.

northernguitarguy likes this.

3. Coldacre

Coldacre Senior Member

congratulations, great amp! I’ve had one for 8 years. there’s a few little tweaks:

snip off the bright cap on the Top Boost channel. you don’t lose any chime, but the amp will sound much better with overdrive pedals.

put some NOS glass into v1 of the preamp section. an old Mullard, RCA or GE will improve the tone quite drastically.

swap out the speaker for a Celestion Blue. not cheap, but damn what an improvement.

Guitar Rod likes this.

4. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Thanks for the tips. My DSL40C has the bright cap mod, and I love it. Really evens out the two channels. Thought about doing it on the AC15, but I currently love the sound and tend to like a bit of brightness in an amp. It's definitely an option.

As far as the Alnico Blue, that was a future plan. Didn't expect to like the Greenback with it as much as I do. But getting closer to that classic sound makes it a likelihood at some point.

Coldacre likes this.

5. Coldacre

Coldacre Senior Member

rest assured that clipping the bright cap will not compromise the inherent brightness of the circuit. you won’t lose any top end. I was hesitant to do this originally as I was in the same boat as you. I got my AC15 in 2010. I didn’t clip it off until 2013... but as soon as I did, my reaction was “damn.... I should have done this years ago!”

the original JMI Vox amps from the 50’s / 60’s didn’t have bright caps on any of the channels :)

Guitar Rod likes this.

6. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Good to know. Now I'm definitely leaning towards doing it. Did you just clip it and lift the leg (like was done on my DSL) or did you remove it altogether?

7. Coldacre

Coldacre Senior Member

I ripped it off completely.

Guitar Rod likes this.

8. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure

Long may you enjoy!

(I have one too)

Guitar Rod likes this.

9. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Thanks! Glad to be in good company.

X–Ray likes this.

10. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

Happy NAD! These amps give you a lot of that classic Vox Tone in a package that won't break your wallet (or your back)! Enjoy..........

Guitar Rod likes this.

11. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Thanks! My wallet survived, and so will my back as long as I don't have to move it.