Complete EPI custom setup

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Roman, Jul 30, 2008.

1. SrtingmanK

SrtingmanK Junior Member

This is a great thread roman. My 2 cents about the nut: I figure that if you adjust the action of the plastic nut and add a bit of graphite, and the nut is working ok, the extra effort of replacing the nut is not worth the trouble. I am willing to be convinced otherwise of course. But once you fret a note the nut is no longer part of the equation, right? I've put bone and grahptech nuts on a half dozen or so guitars, but I haven't noticed a big, if any, difference in tone. Obviously even the most expesive nuts are relatively cheap, so there's no reason to skimp if you need to replace one. But "if it aint broke don't fix it" at least reduces the chance of damaging the finish if the factory went crazy glueing it in or whatnot. Just MHO. Again, I'm open to learn more about this. BTW, the part about rolling the neck binding was cool. I didn't know that people did that. I have a new Trad Pro that plays ok, but does have a few high frets. I've done fret work on unbound teles and strats, and this thread has answered my questions about doing it on my Epi withuot fear.

2. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. MWAH! ♥ Premium Member

Excellent thread/tutorial/journal. Great job, loved it! :yesway:

3. SrtingmanK

SrtingmanK Junior Member

OK, I'm commenting own my own post, to say I have rethought my comment about keeping the plastic nut. I am about to (in the next few days) do this entire process to my new Epi Traditional Pro. I will be replacing the nut. Why? Why not! If my open chords sound better and the nut is less likely to bind the strings, it's a no brainer. I'm going to try a tusq if I have one the right size, or else just get a bone blank and shape my own.

4. Azathoth

Azathoth Senior Member

Tusq or bone nut. That is the question.

The biggest plus for bone is that they're only six bucks.

I'm modding my favorite guitar, and I want the best option, but if bone is good as well, I'd rather do that.

5. That Manny Guy

That Manny Guy Junior Member

So with the steel wool used for the top of the frets, what grits do you use? I am going to go and buy some today. Thanks.

6. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Usually, 0000 is used. Don't forget to tape up your pickups.