Complete EPI custom setup

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Roman, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Bdoob3

Bdoob3 Member

the old English on the fret board really made it look good, seems to be pretty simple for just about anybody to do, nothing too special about it right?

2. IRG

IRG Senior Member

I read this entire thread yesterday, and what a thread it is! I'm curious though, since this started in 2008, with a LP Custom that was either that same age or older, I wonder if current 2014 models might actually be better made now, more consistent and all, with less of a need for a total overhaul setup like this one had from Roman.

I had a MIK LP Custom (wished I still had it) but it's actual build quality, was not as good as my 3 MIC models, the most recent being a 2010 Tribute model. The MIK had some years on it, and maybe a complete setup was exactly what it needed.

But now that Epi has been made in China for a while now, with much fewer problems that they first had, I'm willing to wager that the actual need for full setups like what Roman performed here, are probably not as necessary. But I could be wrong.

In any event, I learned a lot here, and might try some of these techniques on my current Tribute model and a few other non Epi models as well. Off to Home Depot later this evening for a few supplies!

rku615 likes this.
  3. Damaged262

Damaged262 Junior Member

About the Epi's being made in China, mine was made in Indonesia and from what I understand, most (if not all) are made there now. At least the slab bodied models, like my LPJ and the specials. I fully expected mine would need a ton of modding, but it really didn't. It was solid wood as well, none of the plywood or compressed board that I was expecting. :applause:

4. Drave

Drave Senior Member

5. IRG

IRG Senior Member

ANyone know how to contact Roman Rist? I've pm'd him here, and sent an email from his website as well.

I want to use his YT video he post on page 9 on doing this procedure. It worked great for me, and I'm writing an article for it now and would love to include it, and to give him credit. But I'm not sure I can use it first without his permission. I'll write the article anyway, and include my own pics, but this video is a helpful tutorial for anyone who decides to scrape the neck and roll the binding. I'm doing it again this weekend on another guitar. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  6. Graham H

Graham H Senior Member

Roman,
    I am experiencing the exact same problem with my Les Paul and missed your answer to the Chief, if you have a chance maybe you could pm me with some info on how to fix this. What a great thread this is and your help is, appreciated immensely !!! :applause::applause::applause:
    Thank you for your assistance !
    Graham

7. Wekkuli

Wekkuli Senior Member

My Custom needs fret polishing and nut levelling,other issues have not occured yet..

8. fortdick

fortdick Junior Member

Thank you Roman for the great info.

9. MidnightLes

MidnightLes Senior Member

So... a war injury story. Not really, but its bitter sweet. My T+ had a bit of fret buzz, so after reading a few of the posts here on MyLesPaul, I decided I'd try it myself. Well, it took forever to gain the courage and buy the tools (not the professional ones here shown) but I finally did it. Unfortunately, (and I keep going over the entire process in my head and can't figure out what went wrong) I dug the second fret pretty deep on strings e,b, and g. Well it was so bad, that with a straight neck, and low height, the e string wouldn't even ring out when pressing on the f#. After tons of worry, and thinking, and eventually pulling myself together, I was able to even it out by leveling out fret 3 and 5, giving it a little bit of tension relief, and raising the bridge a little (Just below 4/64s on the high e, and short of 5/64 on the low e). So... in summary, it was cool to get intimate with my T+, I probably took several years off of the life of my fret wire, the lemon oil on my scraped fretboard is amazing, the guitar buzzes much less, and is back to a playable state. Not the best situation, but loved the entire experience overall. I just wish I knew how I first damaged the second fret. It still puzzles me. Sigh. Live and learn. :dude: :rock: :applause:

10. davi3j

davi3j Banned

tune your G string 15 cents flat :thumb:

11. nicoch

nicoch Senior Member

not expert but can be the nut cut to high ?

12. iakbil

iakbil Junior Member

Thank you so much Roman, this is wonderful information. I joined MLP recently and love all the information here. The members are great and very kind. The support for each other is amazing! I am trying to read everything I can and learn as much as possible! Take care

13. mzucchetto

mzucchetto Junior Member

WOW Just read through all 13 pages of this thread, and I gotta say that is amazing work. If I was located in the US id be sending all my guitars to you. Id even post my guitars from Australia!!!:applause:

I just picked up a 2014 Epi Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro in Honey Burst, now have to look for someone that is in Sydney, AUS that can give the guitar this treatment. Any suggestions would be nice :naughty: Unfortunately, apart from some (read: small amount), most 'luthiers' here are shocking in both workmanship and cost.

I'm fine changing hardware, soldering electronics etc, but I don't think i'm ready for all that fretwork. May have to practice on a POS LP copy I have lying around.

Thanks Again
    Mark

14. XTN

XTN Senior Member

I need a guy like you in Brooklyn.

15. MineGoes211

MineGoes211 Senior Member

Now I'm afraid to purchase another Epi Les Paul. I just sent one back becuse of fret buzz even after I changed the strings and it wouldn't stay in tune.About how much would it cost to set it up the way you have shown here? I'm rethinking just purchasing another Gibson (which I've had very little issues with needing set ups) I was going to pull the trigger on a Epi LP Tribute plus top Faded Cherry, but I don't want to shell out another couple hundred to get it set up properly. I could spend the $$ on a Gibby LP 70's Tribute.

16. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Senior Member

You'd better contact Roman directly instead of here. He posted this almost 7 years ago!

17. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

18. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Senior Member

19. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

I don't think he'll answer any pm, he has a lot of sh!t to handle...

1 person likes this.
  20. gestero

gestero Member

You are a very talented man, I simply do not have the confidence nor skill to do this to a new guitar. I would like to try this on a guitar that is considered worthless.

Nice work, your guitar looks great and must play excellent.