Complete EPI custom setup

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Roman, Jul 30, 2008.

1. JZ06

JZ06 Senior Member

This thread is like going to a really good movie you can watch again and again! I have a Zakk Wylde epi which was a train wreck at the beginning, but really plays like butter now. I've bookmarked this thread. Thanks for sharing with us! I really want a white LP but i can't stand the sticky neck syndrome. I see the way around it :) a little scuff and it's good to go! Thank you for sharing this with us! So informative!! The tip about buffing the frets with cowhide made me SMH! Interesting!!

2. funkypriest

funkypriest Junior Member

Thanks a lot for this guide! I immediately put the knowledge I gained here and applied it to my Standard Pro. Plays better than my Gibson now! Cheers!

3. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Senior Member

Many thanks for this thread. I just gave my LP's fretboard a scraping, followed by a lemon oil rub down and I'm pleased with how much better it looks and feels!

4. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Senior Member

Marking this thread. :)

5. LWSambo

LWSambo Junior Member

Wow,,what a work shop. Great pics,,you looked like you knew what you were doin.

6. CRAZYokiSKATER

CRAZYokiSKATER Senior Member

Thanks for posting this. It will help a lot of readers, including me.

7. stringbender11

stringbender11 Senior Member

Fascinating thread - thanks Roman. This thread has definitely shown how guitars are really just 'assembled' at the factory, not actually 'finished'. They function, but are a far cry from what they can be with the right work.

8. szmusic

szmusic Junior Member

It's been echoed many times in this thread, but I'll echo it again... Thanks Roman! What a wealth of information!

9. Brodie43

Brodie43 Member

Great info. Have been told about the super glue trick with the frets, but was always a little nervous to do it. Not after this thread. Thanks from me and surely everyone else also!!!!

10. reload556

reload556 Junior Member

This is an impressive amount of information. I am inspired to do some work on my Epi. Thanks for the time and effort.
    :dude:

11. Suitable

Suitable Member

What size is the fret wire on these Epi's? Need to know so I can get the right size crowning file :D

12. rexbinary

rexbinary Member

I am a new member that is about to post a NGD thread, but I noticed this thread first and felt I really needed to say Thank You for sharing your talent with us!

13. Damaged262

Damaged262 Junior Member

Not for nothing, but I hope you can have some love for an LPJ. The upgrades I want to make to my Epi LPJ are more for cosmetics at the moment. This being my first guitar at age 50, I can't be much of a judge of the setup I got from Musician's Friend in November. I do feel I was pretty lucky. The guitar was in tune out of the box, I'd gotten a DigiTech RP90 the day before the guitar came and it tuned to that as well as GarageBand in my mac.The frets don't vibrate the strings, I've replaced them with a few sets of D'Addario's so far. What I hate about it, though is the uncovered pickup (with three cats, I'm constantly digging their underfur out of there, that fine fur blows everywhere, especially when it's warm as they shed more and the fans {as in air moving fans, I don't have any people fans yet} blow it allover the damn place. I don't know why the wife won't let my shave their asses bald) and the cream colored pup frame and jack cover and chrome machine heads are just lame. The machine heads would have at least looked better in nickel. Not to mention the white trim on the pick guard and nut cover (and cream right next to it? Just weak). I'd love nothing more than to have everything gloss black and I've been finding things like the bridge & heads in black as well. Some of it American made here and there. What I'd like to know is, how dangerous is it to stain the fret board? I found ample pup covers in gloss black since I've started looking. I'd be willing to replace the pup with an Alnico fully sealed black or even a Zakk Wild fully enclosed Black (why can't I find a Tony Iommi black pup so far?). If I do stain it, I mean, it had to be stained in the first place obviously, would it have to be sanded like every other piece of wood I've stained in my lifetime? I have no idea how thick this wood is or how much the grain would lift. Or should I just leave it alone and let the neck be that accent? The thing is, my brother is a master wood worker, so where I'd be lacking routing another few holes, he's gonna have my back (and I worked in a body shop for several years so the paint isn't an issue). I'm tempted to advance this little number and turn it into a hell of an SG Junior (being a bolt on, I can scoop out the top part of the guitar for the extra "horn" I would think) with little risk ($99.99 for the guitar and a few more hundred to turn it into a real decent piece, thus saving several hundred more than buying it pre-made) I (my brother) can also add the extra spaces for another pup if needed, that was my first thought actually). I know all taste is subject to interpretation, but based on my desire, what are your thoughts? Or am I being nieve and I should shut the hell up, make my cosmetic changes and continue to learn? (I give it at least 2 hours a night, many more if my finger tips will cooperate) Thanks guys, I'd still leave the fine tuning to a pro, but I love the idea of taking on a project like this.

14. gabers

gabers Junior Member

I second that. I was on a family vacation a couple months ago and I stumbled upon this thread through a google search. I stayed up late staring at my phone's little screen trying to download all the pics with a slow 3G connection even though I had to go hiking the next morning.

15. Spike89

Spike89 Member

Wow, just wow......... I didn't know what a "setup" really was until now. I don't know abou the whole sanding the back of the neck thing from the original guitar on this thread, but I would love to see that deep dark rosewood color on my EPI. I can tell from comments here and elsewhere that it is worth doing. Maybe sometime in the next year or so I'll find a good guitarsmith (lol) and have them do this for me. If you guys know of anyone as good or close to Roman in my area please let me know.. I live in Lebanon, OH 45036. Hopefully I will be able to find someone with the patients, knowlegde, experience, and hands talented enough to do the beautiful work that Roman does.

16. nasticanasta

nasticanasta Junior Member

I do work on guitars...I do all my own work on mine, I don't own any epiphones though, (don't like their feel, i never touched an epi I liked enough to buy) But I am in Columbus Ohio...I used to take all my guitars into German Village Music Haus,for major stuff like frets and the nuts I didn't want to mess with, Bill Folley did great work he had a book published on how to do all this stuff...but his work has diminished and I taught myself how to do all this through Stew-Mac and other lutheirs here in town like J. Thomas a local guy here who does this and builds guitars too. I have built a couple guitars myself..my first being in High school in wood shop. So if you're interested leave a message.

I own gibsons fenders and my favorite...ESP guitars...sound like gibsons...cost less...faster necks.. stronger neck joints....I love my 94 SG...but I gotta say my ESP eclipse is a shredder.. i would sell my gibson or 73 Tele Custom maple neck/ strat hybrid ( I have owned since 80) before I sold my ESP's.

17. Damaged262

Damaged262 Junior Member

I'm thinking of replacing the compensated bridge on my LPJ, the high E has already cut grooves into it and it's less than a year old. I've been looking at some wrap around tuneomatics, I would think that'd be usable. But, I just don't know, so I thought I'd ask here. Here's a Chinese version as an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-W...-Tailpiece-For-Gibson-LP-Guitar/150991859531? _trksid=p2046732.m2060&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D1107425433184812433%26pid%3D100040%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D160968013292%26and then there's this $170 version and I don't even know if it covers shipping: product-detail It's beautiful, but that's almost twice the cost of the darn guitar! Still, it's pretty nice. Thanks for your opinions.

18. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Senior Member

I did the fretboard scraping on my Trad Pro and the razor scraped off a brown colored dust. At first I thought this was a mixture of the plastic-y coating and the rosewood but then after reading some other threads, I heard that the coating itself is a brown color. But so is the rosewood. So, how do I know when i've got all the coating off and know to stop? Because after one single pass of the blade, i can see the fretboard become a lighter color. Not much, but its a little lighter in color. But im assuming i didn't take off enough on most of the frets. Will i see a noticeable change in the color of the wood and know when to stop scraping? I don't want to take off too much.

19. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Senior Member

Just replaced the nut on my Epi with a Tusq XL. WOW what a difference! Couldn't have done it without the help of this thread, thanks again!

20. fullmetalpatrick

fullmetalpatrick Junior Member

Thank you for sharing your experience Roman! I joined mylespaul because of you and this thread! Amazing information you can't just get anywhere.