Complete EPI custom setup

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Roman, Jul 30, 2008.

1. McCloud9

McCloud9 Senior Member

Awsome info and photos Roman, thank you for posting this! I am awaiting the arrival of a new ebony Epiphone Les Paul custom that should be delivered Monday & I can't wait! Not that I would ever tackle this job, but it is a fastinating bit of info. I just started playing guitar again just over a year ago and this is my 2nd electric guitar. My 1st was an Ibanaz AS 73 which is great but I could not resist the beauty, style & tone of the LP so I gave in to the temptation and ordered one even tho my skills really don't yet warrant one. I want to learn all I can about setting up my guitar and this is the best article I've found! The fact you're doing this on the very guitar I will soon own makes it all the better! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and craftsmanship!

McCloud9

2. dogdew

dogdew Senior Member

great thread! thanks so much!

i'm not sure what this picture is meant to suggest?
    is the pick snug between the string and the 12th fret?
    if the neck relief is right and the frets level when using a pick like this roughly how much clearance is ideal?

thanks again!

3. Hack

Hack Senior Member

Indeed you are.

...show us some pics of your guitar! :dude:

4. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

I smell SPAM......:D

5. straybeat

straybeat Senior Member

Hey Roman,

If you're still following this thread, they make collars with a set screw to put around drill bits. With a pair of calipers you can then measure the exact depth you want and tighten the collar at that point. This is what we use in machine shops. A collar will usually fit a dozen different drill sizes, beyond that you just buy a different size collar.

6. rodm717

rodm717 Junior Member

Many thanks, not only to the OP, but also to everyone who posted. This has to be the most infomative setup thread I've read and continue to reread. It has inspired me to be more hands on with my own guitars setup. Much appreciated.:thumb::applause:

7. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

This is excellent information - the pix really help out.

Roman: When you say scrape the fretboard to get to the wood, are you using a single edge razor blade or a special tool?

8. jbutler

jbutler Senior Member

Roman has a video up on this exact subject... doing a youtube search should find it for you.... But in the vid he uses one of those stiff, single edged trapezoid shaped razors... the kind you would use in one of those Sears utility knives.... I've scraped the boards on all my necks using Romans instructions and they look and feel great.... take it slow and you should be happy with the results...

9. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

Thank you - I'll definately do the you-tube search. Lots of great info there. I've been learning basic neck setup - this is really great stuff. :D

10. KzooKid

KzooKid Member

Roman,
    Great information! Can't say how many times I've read through this. I'm ready to start this on my Epiphone standard. Figured if I take my time, I should be able to do it. Heck I work on aircraft and sailboats, should be able to tackle a guitar. One question, when leveling the frets, do you use a flat file, or as I have read somewhere else a wood block/sand paper with the radius of the fretboard?

11. KzooKid

KzooKid Member

Roman,
    Great information! Can't say how many times I've read through this. I'm ready to start this on my Epiphone standard. Figured if I take my time, I should be able to do it. Heck I work on aircraft and sailboats, should be able to tackle a guitar. One question, when leveling the frets, do you use a flat file, or as I have read somewhere else a wood block/sand paper with the radius of the fretboard?

12. KzooKid

KzooKid Member

For some reason the computer burped, and posted twice?

13. LiquidIce

LiquidIce Senior Member

scraping the neck wood with a razor makes me nervous....

Steven and prolific.jones82 like this.
  14. emerald81

emerald81 Senior Member

The picture show the string height. Maybe 2mm for the 6th string & 1.5mm for the 1st...

The fender heavy pick is the reference.

15. LiquidIce

LiquidIce Senior Member

hey, could the owner of the guitar post a current pic of the back of the neck where it was sanded? Thinking I might try this, but will probably experiment on an acoustic.

Funny, went to hardware store today and could only find 150 fine paper...

16. rdbear7d

rdbear7d Senior Member

hey Roman barry here, read and watched your post of coarse i love it.very detailed.i have a very unique question..on your post here you said to get the wider thicker bridge.is the roller bridge for gibson a good one /please let me know.and if not what was the name of that bridge you talked about. ,well had a bit more meat on it?thanks and God Bless. Barry

17. Todd_6c

Todd_6c Junior Member

After reading this thread I decided to give this a shot on an old cheap Ibanez I've had for years. It's amazing what a few files, a razor blade, masking tape, steel wool, and a little lemon oil can do for a guitar! I didn't get to go so far as changing the nut, but just re-working the frets, scraping the fretboard, and adjusting the action and innotation have done wonders. It's gone from a guitar I couldn't even stand to look at to one that I can't put down again. I'm amazed.... I'm not a skilled luthier by any means (before this the extent of my guitar care was changing strings) so I would suggest this for any one. It doesn't even really require any special tools at all (even though I'm sure it would be easier with specialized fret files). I just used regular small hand files and a straight edge for fret filing and leveling. Thank you so much Roman for inspiring me. I've got the luthier bug big time and my wife doesn't appreciate it :)

1 person likes this.
  18. Mikey1969

Mikey1969 Banned

Great thread, thanks for making it! I am going to be late for work if I study it now. I'll be back later :thumb:

Edit:

What is your opinion of this method for a guitar that has a fret so high that is has become a dead spot?

http://youtu.be/c527_CtazOQ

He makes it look so easy.

...I have some Dan Erlewine's books/DVD's I ordered that I plan on studying before starting any work. I purchased his fret basics, repair series, how to make a guitar play great. I think those might get my foot in the door.

19. Hectgore

Hectgore Senior Member

I am WAY late, haven't visited this place in ages.

Not sure if I could fulfill your request, but I will try and get some shots up.

Woah, I haven't touched my guitars in a while. It is time for me to sell my gear and move on. I still love music, i've just branched out past the genres I use to listen to but I realized that when it came to guitar I was always more of a tinkerer and gearhead vs spending time to ACTUALLY play the instrument. A shame, but I learned alot throughout the proccess.

I am going to be listing this guitar for sale on the net sometime soon. I tinkered around with this guitar A LOT more than I played it. After taking it to Roman, I changed out the pots and pickups myself and I also decided to experiment with the glossy finish. I liked how the sanded neck looked on it, and decided to bring down the whole body down to a matte black finish. Didn't exactly turn out as I wanted too. I accidentally sanded off too much in some spots (the back looks like it has buckle rash) but it was a good learning experience. Pictures will be up here, as if it still possible to sell gear on here, I will give you guys dibs at this Epi at a good price.

EDIT: Woah, re-reading my comments; it's like a time machine...

20. Stage Fright

Stage Fright Banned

Love this thread! I have a 1985 Strat w/System III that played like crap. I figured I'd try a simple scrape and oiling last night just to see what difference it made. It feels and plays completely different! I didn't want to put it down but had to go to bed at some point so I could get up and go to work this morning.
    I removed the strings, scraped between the frets, cleaned and oiled the neck only. I did not mess with the frets at all. The strings had never been played (the guitar barely has) but were corroded so I took a greeny weenie and car polish and cleaned G, B, and E off. It feels like a $1500 guitar now.