Complete EPI custom setup

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Roman, Jul 30, 2008.

1. epilespaul99

epilespaul99 Junior Member

Great Stuff!:thumb:

2. Dime O Bag

Dime O Bag Senior Member

Hmm, does that mean I can make my Jay Turser V into a kickass one?...

Tbh, It sucks more then epi... but it really just has the same problems >_>...

thanks mate, maybe I can fix this up lol

3. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

ive read through this 3x now. and finally started on my lp. fret board scraped and frets are levelled. have to say it look better at this point than it was before. just waiting for a crowning file to be delivered. just out of interest, i used a fine diamond sharpening stone to level the frets and it worked well.

thank you Roman, what a inspiration to me this thread is. with out it i would of just kept on with the same old problems.

4. merkin4theman

merkin4theman Member

I switched the Grover Tuners on my LPC to Grover Keystones and didn't need to drill and holes

5. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

thats all done. although not perfect, its far better than it was, its better than that its fantastic, i can fret and hear every note and cord clearly with far less effort. i wouldn't hesitate to do this to any guitar now. my acoustic is next, i can only improve with practice.

6. Tadas

Tadas Member

I'm also halfway done - i have to make the nut, and she will be ready! I'm just waiting for the nut files to arrive ;) So far after scraping, leveling and crowning the fretboard looks i a superior shape! :thumb:

7. Krusty_47

Krusty_47 Member

So I've read this thread all the way through. I would love to do this myself. I have 2 guitars. An old Mexican strat and my 2005 Limited Edition Epi Les Paul Standard.

What I would love to know is what tools would I need to get the job done? If you have done this before what was the most difficult part of the process?

I would love to have a great playing guitar that I did all the work myself. I want to a have a guitar that I can say is really my own. Any help or suggestions would be great.

8. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

Suggest buying two nuts (hahaha). I screwed mine up and ended up putting the stock back on. They are not very expensive and if the first works out, then you have a spare for your next axe tune up or help out a friend. I will re-address my nut issue on the next string change. It made all the difference in both of my projects and soon will have some fun with the 3rd. Good luck and have fun!

9. joe_paul

joe_paul Junior Member

how you did it... ?

some setting maybe i should know:hmm:

10. xxjagerxx

xxjagerxx Senior Member

I was a bit apprehensive about taking to my custom with a razor blade but wow what a difference,it really leveled up the inlays,i gave the frets a quick polish,oiled her up and restrung her. She now plays like butter. Thanks roman

11. Tadas

Tadas Member

I'm finally done!!
    Here is what i did for my epi les paul custom:

1. Fretboard scraping - that was probably the easiest part, but the result is nice. It looks and feels like wood now!
    2. Rolling the binding - not too hard, i watched some video by Mr. Roman Rist, where he clearly explain how it should be done.
    3. Leveling and polishing the inlays - after the scraping they were a bit scratched so i polished them and those inlays are shiny again!
    3. Leveling the frets - I used a 12'' radius leveling block with sandpaper from Stew Mac. NOTE: Epi radius is a tiny bit larger than 12''!! So the block is bit tight, and the corners of the frets came out a bit low.. But it's still ok.
    4. Recrowning and polishing the frets - the part that took the most time and nerves :D I used a large crowning file from Stew Mac. I would suggest to get a diamond one cause the one i got (non - diamond) was a bit rough, so i had to do a bit of polishing after the crowning. After the filing I polished the frets with a sandpaper up to 600 grit and then some 1000 to make them really nice. Frets came out about 0.034 - 0.035'' height, a bit on the low side but they are ok!
    5. Making a new bone nut - I made a bone nut with string spacing specially for ernie ball "light top heavy bottom" strings. Sustaaain forever! :D
    6. Rewiring the guitar 50's style wiring - rewired my guitar using the stock parts, just changing the wiring scheme. Let me tell you, you can feel it!! The tone is nice and sharp even if you roll the volume down. Now I'll get proper pots and caps as soon as i have some cash.. ;))
    7. Sanding the back of the neck - sanded the back of the neck to give it that smooth feel. Sure is way better than it was!
    8. Lemon oil, intonation, relief adjustments - all the little finishing things :)

Let me tell you, it took A LOT OF TIME. But if feels a new instrument now, and is an absolute pleasure to play. All the fretted notes are PERFECTLY in tune, and even the damn open a minor sounds in tune! I sure learned a lot by doing it, and i dont regret the time and money spent at all. This forum has been a lot of help - thanks everyone!

Now, if someone who wants to do it - write me, and i will try to do my best to share anything I have learned ;)

12. diablomark

diablomark Junior Member

Hi Todas,

I am interested in giving my Epi LP Std this treatment. I have no guitar tools. What would you recommend purchasing in the way of tools/ supplies to do it?

Regards, Mark

13. Tadas

Tadas Member

Well, at first I have to say that I am no expert in all of this, so my advice should not be taken to be 100% right, but I will try to do my best! ;)

At first, I advice to read some literature and some useful threads in this forum. The book that I have is this: STEWMAC.COM : Guitar Player Repair Guide
    And my main thread for reference was this:
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/lut...ape-fret-level-bone-nut-carve-intonation.html

After reading these and doing some aditional research on the net i have purchased these tools:

1. 12'' radius wooden sanding block:
    STEWMAC.COM : 8" Wooden Radius-sanding Blocks I must make a notice that although Epiphone states that their LP's fretboard radius is 12'' , actually it seems to me that it is slightly bigger! So, this sanding block makes the fret ends a tiny bit lower, than the exact radius sanding block would do.. It didn't ruin anything, but please be aware that this is not the perfect tool in IMHO :)

2. Also, I have bought 6 files for the nut. Since I knew what exact strings i want to use, I bought the files that are closest to these string gauges. I use Ernie Ball's Light Top Heavy Bottom, so my file sizes ranged from 0.010'' to 0.050''. I actually wrote an email to Stew Mac asking what sizes I should get. I advise you do the same, sicne the guys there were very nice and explained everything perfect.

3. The crowning file that i got was Medium/Large fret file like this: STEWMAC.COM : Double-edge Fret File It worked OK for me, but IF i could afford it, I would have taken the diamond file, which is more expensive but I believe it is a better tool. But this file worked fine, I just had to do some extra polishing to repair the mistakes made by my inexperianced hands ;)

4. I got a couple bone blanks, also from the same site. Note, that the ones which say "For Gibsons" are too small! Well, maybe I was too optimistic thinking that what fits Gibson fits Epi too! :laugh2: So, get the ones that say "for Martins" ;)

These are the tools that I ordered. The others that I needed I bought at some builder's shop :D Like the sanding paper, razors for scraping, double sided tape, solder, wires, and the FEELER GAUGES! That is a great tool, but it is like 5 times more expensive in Stew Mac than in Amazon, so don't get fooled :D

Some general advice: If it is possible, find something to pratice on. This may not only save your axe, but a lot of NERVES! :fingersx: Believe me, doing this to my one and only electric made me wake up at night and think "Oh man, what if.. I do something beyond repair??" :fingersx: But, if you don't have a possibility of practicing somewhere else (like me) at least take it really slow. I f there is something that you are not quite sure about, just leave it and read the books, the net and anything you can find until you are absolutely sure what you need to do and how you do it ;)

And lastly, the tools that I listed is a very very very minimum - I believe, having 2 or 3 more would have made it easier for me, but the budget was tight :shock:

Tadas

Dragonas likes this.
  14. M.C.J.

M.C.J. Senior Member

Thanks for posting this, Mr. Rist. I learned a lot today.

15. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Senior Member

Incredible thread Roman! It is our pleasure to the 10th exponential power!

16. Dragonas

Dragonas Junior Member

Thank you Roman!
    I sanded the back of the neck of my 2004 made in china Epi les paul to get rid of "sticky neck."
    Love it now!
    I also gently scraped the frets with a razor blade, but did not find any coating or layer on top of the rosewood. It did remove some grime and build-up that lemon oil and a cloth rag weren't able to get off.

The only thing, I wished I would not have done is the rolling of the binding.
    I gently rolled the edges of the binding with the razor, per your video, and now the frets-ends feel sharp against my hand.

Does anyone have a cure for this??

17. Roman

Roman Master Luthier V.I.P. V.I.P. Member

You have to finish the process. The cure is sandpaper. I usually use a combination of fingernail sanding sticks, and hand work. Sand down to 600 grit. Once you get everything all smooth and round, you won't regret it at all.

Dragonas and purevilpleasure like this.
  18. ChazB

ChazB Junior Member

i want to do the lemon thing on my fb, but instead of scraping each fret can i lightly sand or file the fretboard?

19. ChazB

ChazB Junior Member

forget my previous comment i just saw your vid on it and i was thinking about how to do it all wrong lol thanks

20. house md

house md Member

Great thread and great job Roman. By the way, the Tone Pros bridge is prenotched. Is it neccessary to increase the string notches (the ones on the epi bridge are far bigger)?