Comparing the tone of maple & mahogany

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Les Paul Newb, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

New vid comparing the tones. Pretty interesting. I thought I'd post it to this forum as he is comparing the the woods LP are made of, along with a LP(ish) neck.

Gibson has made many all-mahogany guitars (old customs, VM, Jr, special) so this vid also serves as an aid to how maple can color the sound.

2. D W C

D W C Junior Member

very interesting......

3. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Nice experiment. Both guitars sounds like crap but the mahogany sounds much better, like it has better EQ. When he switches to the maple it's like the EQ drops or looses volume.

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  4. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

I really like his approach, but it's flawed. Would have been a little better if it was a blind test with at least five test subjects. It's been proven we as humans can be influence by what we see.

I've done something similar I recorded seven of my guitars with different woods and posted on other forums without saying what guitar was what. Not a single person responding on what wood they thought was being used from the clip. Once I posted what guitar was which then people responded I knew that was such and such by the tone. But they couldn't do that prior to me telling what guitar was which. BTW my little test was flawed more so than the video. The guitars didn't have the same strings, pickups, and same neck.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    lakeburst likes this.
  5. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

As the saying goes: I wouldn't have seen it if I didn't believe it.

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

As a response to this, the human brain can also ignore differences that are there without visual clues.

And tt really matters little if they can tell the wood itself. In fact given every bit of wood is individual it is impossible to know where in the spectrum of 'typical x wood tone' it sits.
    If you can tell a difference between them then thats good enough.
    Lets face it, you have a flawed signal reproduction in the form of a player, pickup and then amp and speaker in there too - in fact in your test you didn't even manage to make it good enough to conclude that people hear what they want to hear.

7. sibyrpunk

sibyrpunk Senior Member

I just wish people would do these comparisons with a clean signal.

Sinster and zetrex like this.
  8. ht-57

ht-57 Member

hear ya go-hell every one knows what really lies under the maple cap of a norlin

lakeburst likes this.