Coming Sept 2017: Epiphone Les Paul SL $99 shipped!

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by C.J., Aug 6, 2017.

1. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

Its not made very clear but the sunburst and some of the other finishes are not gloss but a really basic looking matte. At least at NAMM they were!

Turquoise or Pacific are the only two I know for certain are gloss. The red is also iirc.

BTW re: possible mods. I think this is my inspiration here:

[​IMG]

2. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Member

Thanks for the information, did you see the Sun Yellow at NAMM? Is it gloss?

3. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

The yellow was gloss yes. Check this out from 1:29 for a sweep of all the finishes.

I am not mad keen on matte finishes but I could see myself covering it in Nitro anyway at some point and it might even be a better starting point (less labour) than Poly if you're planning a refinish.

4. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

I was caught up in the buzz over these "budget" Epiphones, too. Then I did the math. When I thought about it, by the time I made all the mods I would want to make, I might be better off getting a decent Agile guitar like this one:
    Agile AD-201
    [​IMG]

Is it just the allure of buying a "Les Paul" for $99? Is it the fun of modifying said guitar? Hmm, not sure (though I'm sure many here will post their opinions). I can clearly see now that I was caught up in the buzz (yep, I came very close to securing an advance payment down on one with Sweetwater). Sure, they don't appear to be a real bad guitar and those who enjoy tinkering around with mods will have lots of fun. That said, I think as the proverbial dust settles on this one, it will just be a $99 guitar that you put twice as much into with mods. So for me personally, I'm out, kids. That said, I can't wait to see some of the mods y'all come up with here at the forum.

P.S.,
    Man! I luv that Agile. Just waiting for them to come back out with the Vintage Burst one again before I get mine!

5. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Member

C.J., thanks for the video! I ordered a Sun Yellow this morning before I saw your post, and I'm thinking that I might want to change my order for a matte finish. Maybe I should just buy two!

Campbell, I really don't think that I'll do any mods, I usually play them stock. As long as the tuners are useable, the videos that I've seen seem to indicate that the stock pickups are fine. Some folks love to mod their guitars, but I don't like to put money in relatively inexpensive guitars (or any guitars for that matter). I prefer to keep them original.

C.J. likes this.
  6. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

That Agile does look great for the money. On paper that is pretty much my perfect guitar: a slab body, dog ear, p90 in the neck, bound, rosewood. What's not to love? But its 3x the price of the SL and, sadly, does not appear to be widely available in Europe.

You make a very good point about sinking money in to cheap guitars. That is absolutely true. There are perils here for sure: if you buy a $99 guitar and it needs new pickups and new tuners and a new nut and new strings .. and a re-wire ..

What's the point? Dead right, you are!

I'd hate to see anyone get burned by hype. A good set of Kluson style tuners would cost $40 for example ..

I'm keen on it purely as a mod platform. I have several sets of pickups lying around that I'd like to put to use. Its also a perfect 'beater' for using to demo pickups I make for people - I have a little studio in my apartment set up with stools, amps, mic'd up etc. Being able to let people demo humbuckers before buying them would be cool. A $99 guitar is a great way to showcase my pickups and I don't care too much if it gets dropped or dinged up. Likewise for gigging or loaning out to band mates etc.

I also really want a Gibson Marauder (as pictured above) and since I already have pickups lying around and a sheet of 2-ply plastic and lots of spare pots and caps etc. for me it would be a cheap fun curiosity. :)

7. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Junior Member

Not to go off the rail here but why would anybody want anything connected to PETER TOWNSEND. His is a English convicted pedophile. dirty horible scum bag.... And Peter you can try to bull shit us all you want. with your I was researching waffle. I was abaused as a child and now as a 46 year old man i dont need to do any research, yea it totally screwed up my head. full stop. So sod P,T yea he was in a band.. who did a couple of good tunes. most of them i dont feel. Sure he can rock a 330 but ewwww horrible man. ok rant over... and we can now resume broadcast.

8. kysrsoze

kysrsoze Senior Member

I've always wanted something in that color (turquoise, which looks kinda like surf green to me). For $99, how could you possibly go wrong? Sounds good in the video and even if it sucks, what other kind of art piece can you get for that price? I confirmed the pups are actually open-coil humbuckers. I'm in.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  9. AccustomedtoStandards

AccustomedtoStandards Senior Member

Based on the threads I've seen here and elsewhere, I'm guessing these are going to be the next Squier '51 - a beginner guitar that's a very tempting mod platform.

Malikon likes this.
  10. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

He's not really that great a guitar player, let's be honest. Even he has admitted to his own limitations. More of a great songwriter. Wanker that he is, I grant you.

11. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

I fully understand your slant on this topic. The Agile was merely a suggestion as to the type of guitar that this "cheap" Epiphone may inspire to be through a few mods.

I'm still a bit tempted myself on this Epiphone, to be honest. Though my mod ideas would include lipstick p/u's. But then again, I already own a Danelectro '59 NOS+...so...

C.J. likes this.
  12. 12Rant

12Rant Member

I'm buying one on payday, if nothing more than the novelty of it. I've always wanted to see an LP with Strat like pups. I think the way the pickguard shaped, it might be masking two humbucker routes and they are probably LP Special bodies Can't wait to get it so I can void the warranty. Cheers.

13. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

Depending on the quality of your monitor you can't tell a huge difference between blue and turquoise just looking at a TFT (I find). However there is an obvious difference in the flesh. I prefer the turquoise myself. :)

14. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

that matte finish sunburst channels such a hard Melody Maker vibe it's uncanny.

Can't wait to start hearing how these are once they're actually in MLP members possession.

15. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

To me, all of my guitars have looked better in person than on the websites. The one major shock I had was with my White Lightning Les Paul. I had thought it was just going to be a brilliant white, but it had a massive amount of pearl sparkle in the finish.

I think the matte finishes on these will be a nice change from the "will-survive-a-nuclear-blast" high gloss finish on almost all the other Epiphone models.

16. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

Okay, I couldn't help myself. I'm on the waiting list over at Sweetwater for one, as well. Thinkin' the Cherry Sunburst for me! Now, what kinda pickups...?
    [​IMG]
    Actually, I'll give these stock p/u's a go for a while and just see what they have to offer. They might be technically "crappy", but offer a unique tone. We'll have to see?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Benjammin likes this.
  17. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I saw a couple at the store last week, played a sunburst one. Overall it was good for the money, but not tempting enough to buy one.