Coming from Telecaster build, help build a hybrid Gibson-style

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ppg677, Feb 12, 2019 at 1:26 AM.

1. ppg677

ppg677 Junior Member

Hi, I'm new here. I recently completed my first guitar build. It was a Telecaster and was fairly straightforward with templates (final writeup w/ pics here).

I'd like to try something different, more custom, more challenging, and more Gibson-style-- humbuckers, a set neck, and maybe/probably a tune-a-matic bridge. Might as well try 24.75" scale too. I'm not much of a guitar player-- learning to play now!

Since I have acquired some beautiful Koa wood (resawed into 3/8" thick pieces) and also acquired some 8/4 Walnut, I plan on doing a flat Koa-topped (on Walnut) guitar. I'll chamber out the Walnut for weight reduction. I have a custom body shape in mind that is sort of Tele-ish but with a rounded out horn.

Telecaster neck itself was easy as I just followed a template, shaped the profile, and bolted it on! I'd like to try a set neck, and I might as well attempt an angled headstock as well.

So I think this sort of sounds like a Les Paul Jr-like build, but with my own custom shape and a neck pickup.

Does anyone have a printable neck template for a Gibson-style neck? I've found a lot of Les Paul and Les Paul Jr. plans, but nothing that appears to be a printable template for both the top profile and the side profile.

I purchased Telecaster templates (out of MDF wood) from fleabay. I don't see much for Gibson, which means I'd ideally just find some printable plans. Have my local FedEx store print them, glue onto MDF wood and then carefully cut out.

Seems I could either make the neck out of flat-sawn 8/4 Walnut (including the heal and a modest-angled headstock), or do a quartersawn laminate.

Then I would use a top-profile template to pattern-route the neck shape as appears from the top.

Any other suggestions?

2. RicOkc

RicOkc Senior Member

Check out Seymour Duncan's Tele-Gib.

bhmcintosh and Zoobiedood like this.
  3. bcguitars74

bcguitars74 Senior Member

As far as plans go, I totally recommend the Bartlett ones - I used these to print out and make templates from. He also sells templates though and these are also top notch.

4. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Depends on what you want to do. I've made both strat and tele glue-in necks before....just using the Fender templates. You can take some bulk out of the heel area and soften/round the edge for better upper fret access. But the neck rout can be the same, but with maybe an extension of length into the neck pickup area.

dickjonesify likes this.
  5. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Senior Member

Heeeyyyy you found us! ;)

I saw on TDPRI that you found that LP Junior Special drawing. I’d say that’s as good as any for what you’re wanting to do. Obviously, the outline can change and you can add binding, etc.

I think I have a singlecut Junior drawing somewhere, if you would prefer that as a starting point.

6. Robert Parker

Robert Parker Senior Member

Just want to say good luck. I just finished my first set-neck LP-Special type build after going a couple Teles. It really wasn't all that much more complicated - actually simpler in some ways.

7. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Are you out to build a hybrid with some Tele and LP features?? That's what I do really...although more Tele'ish than LP. I build a 25" scale neck Tele style but with a snakehead peghead. Tele style control route and control plate and Tele controls...hard tail bridge. It's just so straight forward to me.

[​IMG]

8. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Just a couple of pics of the glue-in Tele I did. This was actually adapting a bolt-on neck and simply gluing on a block on the bottom at the heel end to give extra length and support into the body.
    DSC00676.JPG DSC00677.JPG DSC00678.JPG

dickjonesify likes this.