Combo with Headphone Out

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by TennesseeJed, May 18, 2017.

1. TennesseeJed

TennesseeJed Junior Member

So I live in an apartment and was called and asked to be quieter when playing guitar. Well after turning it down to a volume that I could have literally have a conversation over I was issued a formal complaint by my complex. Rather than ruffle anymore feathers I think its time I find a solution with headphones. I'd like to have a combo with a nice headphone out capability. I'm not looking for anything more than $300, I'm simply a bedroom noodler. I'm more of a classic rock guy but I am getting into the blues a lot in the style of Freddie King and Jimmy Reed. Anyone have suggestions.

kevinpaul likes this.
  2. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Go grab a mustang I for a hunert bucks

frankv, kevinpaul and mdubya like this.
  3. mandobandit

mandobandit Senior Member

I had a Vox VT20+ which I replaced with a Katana 50 the Kat sounds superior to the Vox through the cabinet but the Vox was better through head phones the Katana is better at whisper levels and of coarse very good at getting a formal from your neighbors , prior to the combo amps I really enjoyed the Line 6 mobile POD through iPhone / iPod

kevinpaul likes this.
  4. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Fender Mustang
    Boss Katana
    Blackstar ID Core

kevinpaul likes this.
  5. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I hate headphones, like a rubber. Most leases tell everyone to shut up at 10:00 PM

Rocco Crocco and ttbit like this.
  6. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I have to play through headphones 99% of the time. I just bought a really comfy pair, and they've served me well.

kevinpaul likes this.
  7. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I'm finding a real difference that I've always been aware of but am now starting to understand - headphones and speakers yield very different results. With the above amp suggestions, purchase some quality, flat response studio headphones. I've got a pair of Audio Technica phones that I found for less than $100 a few years ago. This will help you find some decent tones, but they probably won't translate to live tones - Just enjoyment in the privacy of your apartment. :jb:

Rocco Crocco and kevinpaul like this.
  8. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Wiht headphones pay attention to the impedance. Your phones should be at (ideally) or slightly higher than the output impedance of the device you're connecting to. If the headphone impedance is lower it will overload the output stage and give a pooor signal/response.

kevinpaul likes this.
  9. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Regardless of whether you end up buying a bigger combo with headphones out, I suggest you give the Blackstar Fly 3 a try. It is by far the least clumsy solution I have used to play my guitar through headphones. It is portable, easy to tweak, and sound great through the phones. The built in speaker sounds great too and it is so small you might be able to get away with playing through the speakers at low volume.

kevinpaul and Pop1655 like this.
  10. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

^^^another good idea!

11. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

A good quality and well fitting pair of IEMs is another alternative to headphones! Shure, Westone, and recently Fender have a range of models. And there are others. I am not referring to earbuds of the sorts included with audio players, etc.

kevinpaul likes this.
  12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

My Mustang I with earbuds was ridiculously good sounding for $100.

I tended to rely on the Tweed Deluxe, the Twin, and the British 60's models. I also used my Maestro Fuzz and OD808 or Bad Monkey. Great, inexpensive setup for low volume fun.

I am absolutely sure there are other good options available. The M1 is what I have experience with.

kevinpaul likes this.
  13. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

Music that I listened to on a nice stereo in a past life is now a head phones only thing. The only time I can get a loud 12" going is when I play with a boss drum machine. Eating your own cooking can lead to desperate measures. Tia will play and sing but that has turned into work. At home it is still a pleasure. The head phones are just another sell out to the man.

14. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

No amp needed. Find one of these.
    [​IMG]

I don't recommend without experience. This thing is great.

Also look into a Pandora. Now very much enhanced and incredibly good including drum beats to play against.

15. TennesseeJed

TennesseeJed Junior Member

Well I appreciate everyone's recommendations. Its been awhile but I finally found an amp. It came down to the mustang and the code 25. Both worked great but the code 25 got the nod because I found the gateway software very easy to use to make tweaks and save presets. Its a lot of fun being able to flip through stored presets as I play through the list of songs I know.