Columbia SC guitar show June 4th?

Discussion in 'MLP Meets' started by Exodus5, May 31, 2016.

1. Exodus5

Exodus5 Senior Member

Anybody going to this? Not a lot of info online about it. I cannot even find how much entry is....

2. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

3. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

4. Exodus5

Exodus5 Senior Member

It looks like SIMS guitars in Columbia is having a big thing the same day. I'll probably head over there too.

5. Zentar

Zentar Senior Member

Dropprd by the show in Columbia. Bought a $60 tele case worth $40. Got a nice Fender cap for $10. I saw a few deals but most people want very near new prices for used stuff. SNARK $9 tuners were selling for $15. That ticked me off. Haven't those guys heard of internet w/free shipping to your door?
    Door fee $7.
    Saw some nice guitars. Lotsa vintage Martins from the 40s. Saw a Vox 60s electric 12 string $1995. Dunno if that was a deal..
    Very nearly bought a $489 Gibby LP aJr w/single P90 but backed off for some reason. Didn't need it I guess.
    A girl that didn't play guitar won the free Strat raffle. Figures.
    Didn't go by Sims. Bought a new LP from them last week. Didn't wanna give them any more money.
    If Meatloaf was there I never saw him.

6. Exodus5

Exodus5 Senior Member

I was there. Weakest guitar show I have ever seen. One guy had an 88 strat that I liked. I think it was some type of 62 reissue, but he wanted top dollar and it was in average shape (if that...dings/fretwear/case damage) and he wouldn't come down no matter what. I was able to sell the Ibanez 7 string I've been trying to get rid of (for $50 less than it was worth). Same array of junk guitars and museum pieces I usually see. Maybe next show I'll find that Strat...

7. Zentar

Zentar Senior Member

LOL I hear ya. I was looking at used humbuckers. A guy was asking $50 for used pickups that sell for $50 new. Who wants to deal with a flim flammer?
    This was the first guitar show I ever went to. Dunno if I'll attend another.
    I think if you go to these shows you need to decide beforehand what you will permit yourself to do. I was expecting used prices lower than new prices. Is that too much to expect?
    I did see a few good deals though. I really did. Maybe I'll be more aware if I go next year.

8. Exodus5

Exodus5 Senior Member

Don't let this one throw you off. The Charlotte and Greenville shows are much better. You're still going to see some strange pricing. That is why I was so thrown by the guy with the Strat. Most of these guys jack up the asking price to come back down to the normal price in a deal but some of them are just ridiculous. For instance, there was a PRS there. It was nice-ish. It would sell on ebay for $1400 maybe. The guy had it priced $2000+ so I didn't even speak to him about it. Priced so outrageous that you know he'll "make you a deal" for $1800 or something. The market has really taken a dive (trust me, I have first hand experience with this) but some of these guys are from little shops in little towns and they seem to be disconnected from reality.