Color Coding for Gibson LP versus Epi LP Four-Conductor Pick-Ups

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by ProfChaos, Oct 19, 2012.

1. ProfChaos

ProfChaos Junior Member

Hi. :)

I'm working with a friend, writing songs in both alternate and standard tunings, so I just bought a nice-looking Trans-Blue Quilt-Top Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro so that I can have one guitar in alternate tuning and one guitar in standard tuning (and thus experience less fuss with tuning while rehearsing and writing). The trouble is that I'm not a great fan of the Epiphone Psuedo-Burstbucker four-conductor pick-ups loaded into the Epi Standard Pro. This might be because I had a hot-sounding Gibson LP (Guitar Center) Double-Cut that came with BurstBucker 2 pickups, and it called down the angels--what a guitar! (I had to sell the double-cut after the economic down-turn, so I'm now building a Frankenstein Epi LP as the double-cut's replacement, i.e., a Gibi-Phone.) :slash:

I ordered four-conductor Gibson Zebra-Coil BurstBucker 3 pick-ups, and they are en-route, so I'm queing things up for the Frankenstein conversion and hoping that Phase 1 (BurstBucker 3 installation) will prove to be fairly simple.

My question is as follows:

Is the four-conductor pick-up color-coding for the Gibson LP the same as the four-conductor pick-up color-coding for the Epi LP Standard Pro? For right now, I intend to stick with the stock push-pull 500K volume pots that come packed into the Epi Standard Pro.

I also noticed that there is a molex (plastic) connector on both volume controls in the 2012 Epi Standard Pro, so if the BurstBucker 3 pick-ups don't also have a compatible plastic connector, there will at least need to be a little wire-cutting surgery on the pick-up wiring harness that leads to the plastic connector on the 500K volume pots. If the color-coding for four-conductor Gibson BurstBucker 3 pick-ups is the same as the color-coding for Epi four-conductor pick-ups, then installing BurstBucker 3s in a 2012 Epi Standard Pro should be a simple operation. (I don't mind damaging the Epi Pseudo-BurstBucker wiring harness, because I will likely either pitch these pick-ups in the trash or give them away.)

Lastly, if there are compatibility issues, would it be simpler to just buy Gibson 500K push-pull pots and start from there, or is dropping Gibson BurstBucker 3 pickups into a 2012 Epi LP Standard Pro a very simple operation?

Thanks for your help.

--Professor Chaos :cheers:

2. Papa

Papa Senior Member

There should be no compatibility issues except that the basic pots, caps and toggle switch suck.
    Molex connectors are completely unreliable IMO and I would eliminate them.

As to color codes.... this is the best that I can do:

Guitar & Bass 4-Wire Humbucker Color Code Diagrams
    STEWMAC.COM : Gibson Humbucking Pickups Free information

You might want to see if others chime in as I have never owned those particular pickups.

By the way, You will have to swap the pickup mounting rings. Epi is metric...Gibson is imperial.

Papa

1 person likes this.
  3. LSAR

LSAR Professional Lurker Premium Member

I also cannot speak for your specific pickups, however I found that the color coding on the pickups from my Wilshire Pro matched those I found online for Gibson pickups.

4. SJM

SJM Premium V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Installing new pups into a coil split assembly is not a daunting task but if you haven't done it before, it's going to be a challenge. The color coding is the same but papa is right about those molex connectors. Hard wire everything if you want it to be a good job. I think if you can afford Gibson BB's you might want to consider the harness in this link:

https://www.martinsixstringcustoms....s-paula-dual-coil-split-harness/prod_125.html

Trust me, it's worth every penny. If you're going to that much trouble I'd consider a Switchcraft toggle and output jack too.

5. ProfChaos

ProfChaos Junior Member

Thanks for the wiring diagrams...Those links and the wiring instructions included with the BurstBucker pick-up kit might be enough to piece things together.

btw, it is possible to use the Epiphone pick-up rings with the BurstBucker pick-ups: It just requires use of the Epiphone height-adjustment springs, rather use of the adjustment springs that come with the BurstBucker kit. I talked to a savvy guitar tech who works for the local Guitar Center, and he said that he has probably installed over 1000 Gibson pick-ups into Epiphones, and he always uses the Epiphone pick-up rings rather than have the customer buy new Gibson pick-up rings. (There is enough clearance, since the Epiphone adjustment screws--although they are metric--are still larger than the Gibson [ASE] adjustment screws. He said that the smaller Gibson ASE screws fit right through the Epiphone pick-up ring adjustment screw holes.)

Thanks again. :cheers:

--Professor Chaos

6. ProfChaos

ProfChaos Junior Member

Thanks for the link to the nifty volume and tone control wiring harness kit. That will be Phase 2 of the Frankenstein Gibi-Phone Les Paul Project. (I also dislike the cheesey Molex connectors on the Epiphone's push-pull pots; they might save Gibson time and money during manufacturing, but Molex connector contacts sometimes oxidize, causing serious headaches and unnecessary head-scratching.)

cheers, :cheers:

--Professor Chaos