Coil splitting

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by OHIOSTEVE, Oct 31, 2017.

1. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

How hard is it to coil split a pickup. I have a bill lawrence humbucker. In the neck position of a tele. I want to coil split it with a mini toggle. I have read 10 different ways to do it. Everything from complicated to just ground the 2 wires you connect together and put a toggle between the ground and that connection.

2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Is it a four conductor pickup? If yes, than it's real simple. You just short out, or remove from the circuit, the coil you don't want to use and use the remaining one, making sure the baseplate/chassis ground is grounded at all times.

If it's a two conductor pickup you will have to have it modified and I'd need to see the pickup to tell you how simple that is. Some Lawerence pickups, like this fine example, are just a bunch of junk in a puddle of epoxy and much easier to simply replace than work on:

[​IMG]

3. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

its a 4 wire with the bare extra wire.... I have the bare grounded to the body and the white and green soldered together and taped. the red to the switch and the black grounded to the pot. with a simple on and off toggle where would I put it in that configuration ( I apologize if this is so simple I look dumb.. never done this before.

4. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Is the color code for Lawrence the same as Gibson? I couldn't find a schematic on his site. IF it is...

Red and black are coil starts and green and white are finishes. Bare/shield is chassis ground.

Red goes to the volume pot lug that you would normally connect the hot of a 2 conductor pickup to. Black and bare go to ground. Use the switch to short the green/white combo to ground when you want to use single coil mode.

That's the easiest way.

5. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

third post in that thread is a wiring schematic for the pickup I have. I belive they are color coded differently.... I appreciate all of the help