Coil splitting a LP

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Rock Johnson, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Senior Member

Anyone have any clips of a LP with split coil pups?

I have a Slash Sig with Alnico II Pros. The pups are four-conductor, but they're wired with only two. I was thinking of getting some push-pull pots to split the coils, but I don't have the foggiest clue how that would sound.

What do y'all think?

2. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

It's never a very satisfactory solution for a single coil sound. Nice idea but sadly lacking.

3. Rock Johnson

I'm not so concerned about getting a LP to sound like a strat - I'm more looking for 'interesting' than anything else....

4. Nugget

Many pickup makers will supply humbuckers with 4 conductor hookup and any maker will be able to convert a 2 conductor humbucker to 4 conductor. Duncan's website has good schematics for hooking up 4 conductor cable to push-pull pots.

An interesting tone you can get is full humbucker at the neck with the bridge pickup coil tapped. Very much like an Andy Summers tone.

5. Rock Johnson

That's what I'm talking about. Obviously, a LP with coil-split hums won't sound anything like a strat - no more than a strat with a humbucker sounds like an LP. I want versatility and interesting tones.

I'm just a cheap bastard and don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I may not like in the end LOL.

6. Nugget

Switching options will also allow phase reversals too.

7. idlewild south

idlewild south V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

In the 70's we tried everything-coil tap a LP,wire two strat/tele pups as a HB.I wired two P90's as a HB.Now that is a unique sound.SUCKS,but unique!

8. Rock Johnson

I really enjoy the traditional LP, Strat, and Tele sounds, but that's the whole point - there's a LOT more out there yet to be explored.

So... I guess no one has any good clips of a coil-split LP?

9. ducman998r

ducman998r Member

Rock.. I have a split coil 500T in my R7 with a push/pull on the volume konb... It sounds amazing. Much more subtle NOt a strat sound but when you overdrive it with the neck PUP combo. Very Stevie Ray Vaughnish I guess you can say. I mainly use it on a clean channel in areas where I dont need an high gain clean.

10. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

I geared up my RG with as many tonal options as possible, including splits, phase, and pickup combination switches... those little micro switches, or push pull pots can do some crazy stuff!

I never use any of it though... haha

I do like the coil split on the Evolution pickup in the bridge, with the HS-3 on in the middle, or the Evo coil split and the Breed in the neck on as well... cool tone! But I hate the out of phase sounds... I'm going to cut some of the options out and simplify the guitar this weekend, and start taking it out to gigs again... its fun to do some crazy trem work once and a while.

11. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I wouldn't do it. I had an SG that was wired with a coil split switch and the
    thing was noisy as hell.
    I like the single coil sound of a Strat, but I think they're overpriced. So.....
    I'm getting one of those Squier Affinity Stats for $149 and I'm gonna mod the
    hell out of it.
    Really, what is a Strat anyway? They're all built pretty cheaply as far as I'm concerned. Bolt on neck....Decal on the headstock...Cheapo guitars that
    Fender gets a lot of money for

12. jakeddy

jakeddy Member

There is a way to wire one of the tone pots to be a progressive on switch, called the "spin-o-split" it doesn't require a switch and is easy to reverse. If you have 4 conductor pups you can dial in a little or a lot of the split. I've done this to the neck pickups on a couple of LP's for a customer once.

13. Rock Johnson

Now THAT is a cool idea. The only problem is, I have a Slash sig LP, so I have essentially 3 vols and 1 tone. So, if I wired it that way, I'd lose the tone control entirely, and that's not acceptable for me.

Maybe on my *next* Lester....

14. jakeddy

jakeddy Member

why 3 volumes?

15. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

One controls the Piezo blend I believe... I love that Slash Sig! Post more pictures! haha

16. Rock Johnson

1 neck vol, 1 bridge vol, 1 piezo vol, and one tone control wired to the neck and bridge volumes.

17. jakeddy

jakeddy Member

I see, how about a concentric pot in the tone? Half for tone the other for spin-o-split. Have your cake and eat it too.

[​IMG]

18. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Thats the only thing I don't like about the wiring on the Slash Les Paul... 'master' tone control is no good for me! I only use the tone knob on my neck pickup... on the bridge I cut the tone control out of most of my guitars, and use the spot in teh body for another toggle, like a kill switch or something else interesting.

19. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

Spin-A-Split is much better than a coil-split switch.

20. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Senior Member

If you want splittable buckers, WB's split like no others...really!
    Tony