clicks & pops

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by madmusicltd, Dec 12, 2016.

1. madmusicltd

madmusicltd Senior Member

I recently changed from using a DAW to Cubase 5 on my computer, I still end up getting click and pops on my recordings. I have a feeling Norton was running in the background this time... but it is annoying what else can I do?

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

You can try this free tool on your PC.

It checks the amount of delay your system is experiencing while trying to handle your Deferred Procedure Calls.

This delay results in Latency. Real time audio and video cannot tolerate ANY latency as they are Real Time.

I've run it 2 ways.

One just bare computer at the desktop.

Two, Load up all your stuff and run this tool. Any delays will show up almost immediately. Then the trick is to narrow down the offending process.

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

You did not say what kind of interface you are using.

Clocking errors on the I/O will also cause this problem.

Oh, yeah. You should not need Norton as ideally you should have a dedicated machine just for music.

Mine does not go on the internet, does not have anti virus, and has most unneeded services disabled.

You also didn't state the OS. But if it's Windows based you have a ton of unnecessary services eating up CPU cycles in the background.

This tool will help show that.

3. madmusicltd

madmusicltd Senior Member

I am using a Yamaha N8, and A firewire card with the TI chipset, I make sure I close all programs when recording too.. maybe I'll give it a try

4. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

Two components arguing for Master Clock status...?

5. DarrellV

^^^^^^
    YUP! That is why I was asking about the interface, good sir!:thumb:

Knowing who thinks they are in charge would be a big help.

By his description I suspected a fire-wire interface (I have used it myself and seen this happen). :shock:

I would welcome any input from a master like yourself. I'm just a cellar studio dweller.

I gotta say since I've joined I'm still surprised by the amount of talented and professional people that hang out here.

6. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

Your recording levels may be too high (too near -0-). Are you recording at 16bit or 24bit? 16bit may not give you enough head room, especially if you're recording "hot" signals. If at 24, you have 144dB of signal to work with, so you should top out at -16 to -12dB on your meter for each track. As you approach clipping at -0-, you will start to hear cracks and pops as your signal begins to chop off or "clip" the peaks of the digital sine wave produced by an instrument or voice. There is data in the peaks that you no longer hear, and is replaced by pops and cracks in your converted analogue audio output.

So, you may be recording at 16bit, and should really use 24bit. Plus, reduce your recording levels to well below -0- on your digital mixer meter.

That's my guess.

Clipped sine wave: See the flat spots? You're losing data above and below those flat peaks.

[​IMG]

7. yeti

yeti Senior Member

No such thing as "headroom" as it relates to bit depth, 0 dBFS is 0 dBFS, everything else regarding "headroom" comes down to reference levels, not bit depth.
    What you are saying does of course have some truth to it , 24 bit audio has more dynamic range so you can print lower levels w/o signal2noise issues (all of this is theoretical only by the way, in real life other factors come into play as well)) but reducing bit depth does not result in more clipping by itself. If you hit an A2D converter in such a way that the analog I/O and the converter stay below clipping then there will be no clipping regardless of bit rate, hot levels not withstanding.

8. DarrellV

Don't know if you have or are comfortable updating the firmware of your stuff, but below is a link to the Yamaha download site. There is a fire-wire update for windows among other things listed. You didn't state your OS but there are many to choose from. Just pick the one that matches your setup.

Honestly, could be all there is to it.

Maybe not, but in my experience I have found it is best to have everything up to snuff before calling for support, because the first thing they ask you is 'what version are you running?'

http://download.yamaha.com/search/p...ory_id2=16255&category_id3=&product_id=592566

9. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

The last thing anybody wants is me on their recordings.
    I hope you find a cure!

10. DarrellV

^^^^^^
    :rofl:

11. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

What sample rate are you set at? I've got an issue with mine where if I use anything higher than 44.1, I get little pops.

12. DarrellV

The specs I was able to find on it says it is 92K 24 bit internal processing.

It is also made to interface directly into Cubase.

So one would think since they are made for each other they should play nice!

They didn't say what rate they were passing over the fire-wire, or if it was adjustable.

That's why I was asking about the firmware update.

Newer OS's may handle interrupts differently or prioritize them in a way that is not beneficial to fire-wire devices. Same with newer drivers.

When I first started with mine I had to use the legacy fire-wire driver under Windows 7 because the latest and greatest did not handle the managing of devices in an audio friendly way.