Cleaning the garage/shop..

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by LtDave32, Oct 1, 2017.

1. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

You'd just wind up burning it down...

Aussiemodo and LtDave32 like this.
  2. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

But you know, the day after you throw them out, you'll have the perfect use for those scraps. I can hang onto scrap for years, throw them out, and wham, I now could make use of them. Happens every time.

Tone deaf, Pop1655 and LtDave32 like this.
  3. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I'm gonna need that sliver of rosewood.....

Folgers plastic coffee tubs and an aluminum rectangular deep disposable pan here and there...

We're gonna need them scraps... yeah yeah... Can't toss em....

A file, piece of scrap hog/etc., And a little jar with lid.... Comes in handy sometimes... With fresh glue...

jlu52, redjunior and LtDave32 like this.
  4. captainbraindamage

captainbraindamage V.I.P. Member

My garage/workshop sounds like alot of y'alls. I took care of the problem, I built another. I'm good for 3 or 4 more years now.

jlu52, Hangers and Byron999 like this.
  5. Lifelong Gibson Lover

Lifelong Gibson Lover Senior Member

You put cars in the garage!:shock:

I've got two sheds full of sh1t that I've got to clear out because the family are now dumping stuff in my music room.

jlu52, Donal and Fiat Lux like this.
  6. Fiat Lux

Fiat Lux Senior Member

Sounds like it’s time then to clean out your family...

Cheers

7. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

Well, the chore is done.

What a damn undertaking.

I enlisted the help of my housekeeper, who was worth every penny I paid her. I even tipped her a huge tip.

So, here we have a perfect three-day weekend in the desert; 77-80 degrees, very slight breeze, not a cloud in the sky.

I went yesterday to the hardwood yard and picked up 11 board-feet of maple, enough to do several necks. Long, long drive, but badly needed.

Spent today in my clean garage-shop, enough room to swing a brahma bull by the tail and not hit anything.

Cranked the sound system on this beautiful day and set to work on a neck I have been commissioned for.

Nothing like working in a clean shop with sharp tools and nothing in the way.

Hell, I even swept up the sawdust. -After every phase of the project, even.

This shop is much larger than the typical "two-car garage". Much more depth. All drywalled, walls and ceiling. Quad outlets every six feet on every wall.

It was wired well. Now I need to install some major shop lights. There's even romex pulled for that above the ceiling, I found out. Hmm... No switch box, but the wire's pulled.

I'm restarting the project of installing a door from the inside of the house to the garage/shop. The hole is knocked out. but covered with 3/4 plywood.

There's enough room in there to put the SUV in as well as build guitars.

Nowadays due to <cough, ahem> "recent developments", I have weekend time and money to finish this chit.

8. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Ever thought about putting a dust collection system in? My Brother did that in his shop, and while it doesn't eliminate dust, it certainly reduces the amount of dust substantially.

Also, what do you use for a spray booth, LT? My Brother was thinking about building an external one, but concocted one in his shop. He got this HUGE fan to disperse the overspray outside.

p.s., CONGRATS on getting that massive undertaking completed. You're right, it's worth every cent spent on the help (tip WELL worth it)

LtDave32 and jlu52 like this.
  9. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

I cleaned mine this weekend too. All my tools were scattered around. It was getting out of hand.

LtDave32 likes this.
  10. LtDave32

When I'm really worried about dust, I have old bed sheets that I can wet down and hang like a shower curtain..

But I'm considering building a booth out of plywood with an exhaust fan, lighting, etc.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  11. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

Try having a 65' x 65' Barn. You can't IMAGINE the amount of crap that can get shoved into that kind of space before you finally decide "Enough !". And the same still happens in the two-car garage anyway.

Byron999 and Roberteaux like this.
  12. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

I am in no way a hoarder, but I just can not get rid of a single tool..

Byron999 and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  13. Roberteaux

Roberteaux Alien Hominid V.I.P. Member

Dave:

I sure was startled when I first brought you out into my garage to have a look at the reloading bench. I recall that I apologized about the clutter, even though the bench itself is quite orderly.

I was half-expecting you to say something like, "Wow-- how did things get to be like this?"

But instead you said, "Pfft! This ain't so bad... you should see my workshop!" :laugh2:

Glad you got your shop cleared up! :thumb:

Does your housekeeper do interstate work? :hmm:

--R :D

LtDave32 and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  14. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

When I get everything out of the garage, I hit it (floor, walls and ceiling) with the leaf blower. I usually wear a respirator...

15. Byron999

Byron999 Senior Member

I've nearly completed mine. I shop vac areas as I go, the idea of completely empting the garage is so appealing. I have a couple of those big steel framed shelving units on a platform with rollers which occupy one side/bay for document storage, which I freed up this summer.
    Its the black widows I encounter, usually a 1/2 dozen or more that freak me out. I tape up the bottom of my pant legs as a precaution.

This last winter, during a rather cold night in low light, I reached down to pick up what I thought was a little cat fur ball from the black longhaired cat.
    How cold does a spider's body get? Really cold, man. I immediately knew it was no hair ball, as I threw it down and it crawled away. Spiders are creepy little sh*ts.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    THDNUT and LtDave32 like this.
  16. LtDave32

Hey, she's down the street, taking down a tree with a chainsaw.

That ol' gal can work.

Roberteaux and Byron999 like this.
  17. fett

fett Premium Member

I have that Hoarder gene. We all know that I own two mobile homes. Each one has a good-sized shed. They are full. I am always funning about my "Porch". It's pretty deep and long. It didn't take me too to fill that with Stuff. New Rules in the Park. It was "Clear the Deck" time. What to do? My porch is elevated and the framing is hidden by skirts. I decided to take off a skirt. Wow!!! There was lots of room. It's on the concrete slab. Perfect!!!! I stuffed lots of things there. It is a short term solution. I will let my heirs deal with it later.

MooCheng, Howard2k and LtDave32 like this.
  18. redjunior

redjunior Senior Member

Went back out to my shed today, opened the door and a buncha spoons fell out.:facepalm: Smelled real bad too.:dunno:

LtDave32 likes this.
  19. Digger

Digger Dingo Lover! V.I.P. Member

My farm shed held all the unwanted crap from the last 30 years up until recently! Boxes from things I'd bought and was keeping until the warranty ran out, you know how that goes~

Earlier this year I hired a 6 cub metre "Skip" and threw the lot out! Cost me $400 but it was worth every penny! Now I'm upgrading equipment in there because I'm sick of making do and not having the right stuff! My B-in Law swapped me a good air compressor for a trolling motor for his boat so I'm getting a few air tools now and intend to make good use of it.

I came home with a new air hose & reel yesterday so I don't have to move this heavy lump of a compressor and can work on things outside with the longer hose. Bought a right angle rattle gun yesterday too, so gradually getting things I've wanted for ages. A really good grease gun should be useful with the new tractor and with so many petrol operated tools I've increased the amount of petrol & diesel I keep on hand.

Next I need to dismantle our old bedroom in there from back when we used the shed for accomodation while we built our house. Thats a bigger job but then I can fit the tractor and my boat in there and out of the weather.

Every boy has to have a shed!

LtDave32 likes this.
  20. ramaglia375

ramaglia375 Premium Member

Boxes and crap (including real sh#t) would be the least of my worries cleaning out a 30 year old shed in Australia!

Tools required: Fire and Firearms
    Step 1- light shed on fire from exterior (no entry under any circumstances)
    Step 2- shoot whatever comes out that shouldn't have been in there to begin with
    Step 3- roast hotdogs, marshmallows, and whatever was edible that was shot while "cleaning" over hot coals

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Digger and LtDave32 like this.