Cleaning a Dirty Mic Capsule

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Freddy G, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eYpWY675g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eYpWY675g[/ame]

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Hey Freddy, while we're on a mic cleaning thread, how often should one clean the grill on a SM58? If I'm the only user does it matter? I'm total mic slobberer and insist that I have my own, more like in the way I don't like the idea of sharing a harmonica.

3. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Very cool Freddy! Thanks for yet another learning session Professor! :thumb:

You have the patience of a Saint!

When doing the final brushing with the pure distilled water, would it be bad to turn the capsule upside down and let the last of the water and gunk employ gravity, or would it hurt the rim and black rubber if it got on them?

MG Chemicals is the best. I have both versions. With PPE and also Non-Residue. I've never been disappointed with either. Always gets the job done as good as it gets. :cool:

4. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

The reason I want my own too! Slobbered Mics. :laugh2: LOL

I bring my own. :hmm:

Don't mind me, I'm a bit of a germaphobe. :shock:

5. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Great video, Freddy
    At 8:37 (when you said the word "gunk") I actually cringed a lot because I saw the membrane moving from applied pressure. I have near zero experience in this but I took it upon myself to clean 4 capsules in our Calrec Soundfield MK-IV with a camel hair brush using only one bristle and no alcohol. It worked great, the deteriorated foam that protects the capsules had left hundred of speckles on the capsules and I got them all off by using the brush super carefully and then blowed across the membrane with a ultra gentle burst of air using one of these..

[​IMG]

That foam was something else , I laid it down side the foam lined case and within a day the two foams attacked each other, leaving only a black trace.

6. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I clean 58 grills when they start to stink....or when you can see bits of gunk encrusted in the grille. The inner foam should be washed in something gentle, like dishsoap and warm water. The grille can be attacked more aggressively with hot water, soap and a toothbrush. At the theatre, wherever there are shared microphones or headsets or clearcom mainsations, I disinfect these items with a wipe of Dettol.
    [​IMG]

Too much surface tension for gravity to affect such fine droplets of water.

Yeah that was a bit aggressive lol...that's what happens when you talk and film and work at the same time! Glad there was no damage!

But to be fair, it was pressure applied right at the edge of the capsule where the mylar is clamped to the brass....a lot better than smashing the membrane down to the backplate somewhere in the middle of the capsule. That would damage the gold sputtering more easily.

7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Thanks Freddy! I think my mic grill has gone beyond 'stinky'. It's so bacteria filled, my microbes are starting to become sentient. I think they're forming advanced societies, creating alliances, trading, even having the odd battle. If I don't get to it soon, it'll be MAD.