Clean boost - OD difference

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Hatefulsob, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Hatefulsob

Hatefulsob Senior Member

So I understand what each does, but I don't understand how, if they are both increasing your signal to hit the preamp harder, a boost can do it "cleanly" while the OD pedal, ya know, overdrives it? How can a boost give you a 20db or more boost without OD. Please explain.

2. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

I use a dual boost/OD that I assembled from a kit and it's great but I have no real notion of how it actually works.

Be interested in hearing the replies.

3. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

The 'boost' is amplifying the circuit, therefore just taking the signal and increasing its volume. A totally clean amp (perhaps with infinite headroom) would just get louder. There is a point where the pre-amp tube can't handle anymore volume & distorts the signal (preamp overdrive). Overdrive, the signal is being clipped by the diode prior to going into the amp with the addition of you being able to increase the volume.

My Thorpy Peacekeeper into a Yamaha Thr10c on the 'deluxe' setting is great at demonstrating this. I can have the volume set low & the 'drive' set high for a pre-clipped signal entering the amp (which sounds a bit nasty if I'm honest). Or, a totally clean signal going into the amp at maximum volume causing the input stage to distort.

The other aspect is daisy chaining overdrives to achieve cascading gain stages. So 2 of the same pedal, volumes low but gains high in order to cascade into each other.

Does that help any ?

dffdff and Hatefulsob like this.
  4. Hatefulsob

Hatefulsob Senior Member

Yes, great reply, thanks very much.

5. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The TS circuit is often used into already driven amps due to its bass rolloff. Bass is almost the 'enemy' of overdrive, not only due to the farty tone but the power required to make it reproduce. Hence the 'treble boost'

northernguitarguy likes this.
  6. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Overdrive pedals distort your signal in the box.

Clean boosts output a clean loud signal which then distorts your amp.

7. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Some people use a clean boost not so much to foster preamp distortion, but more simply to yield a pre-set lead/solo volume. I personally find tube distortion (preamp or power tube) to be too unpredictable given the range of venues I play, so I have come to rely much more on a range of boost, OD, and distortion/fuzz pedals to get the tones I really want. I use a KTR for a pretty clean boost, and then 3 different pedals, modded and dialed in, for tone/level. I have all of this, and my amp, configured to allow me to use my guitar volume control effectively as well. I suspect that a large % of players end up doing something similar -- relying on pedals, rather than a fully blowing amp, to get their tones.

garybaldy likes this.
  8. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I sometimes use my Sweet Baby as a clean boost. Turn down the gain to zero and dime the volume and raise the treble as well. Works great.