Clarett vs Saffire

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by foxtrot, Jan 23, 2017.

1. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Hey all!

Thought i'd post this up to get some thoughts and opinions.

Is upgrading from the Focusrite Saffire 24 to the new Clarett worth it?

I currently have the former but am intrigued by the latter. I just do home recording stuff on my own.

The Clarett is supposed to be better, but is it worth it over the Saffire?

I guess I'd be looking at the Clarett 4pre. I'd be fine with the 2 combined XLR inputs on the front of the 2pre (which is what my Saffire has), but the 2pre doesn't have any Line Inputs on the back (I leave my keyboard/synth hooked up my my Saffire's two back inputs now). The 4pre has 4 line inputs on the back and 4 outputs (my saffire has 2 in and 6 out).

The Clarett is also a Thunderbolt interface, whereas the Saffire is Firewire (which I connect to my Mac with a Thunderbolt adapter). One nice aspect in that regard would be that the Clarett would be hot swappable (no need to turn the computer off and back on when connecting the interface or turning it on and off). Of course, who knows if they'll be coming out with Thunderbolt 3 devices sometime in the near future (would probably be a little while since the Claretts came out not all that long ago).

Open to hearing any thoughts on these two and whether moving to the Clarett would be worth it or if it would be better to maybe just look into or think of something somewhat better altogether a bit down the road! :thumb:

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

Hey Foxtrot!

I have this one, for the same type of recording and I go on site live as well.
    [​IMG]

I get their newsletters and stuff and from what I'm seeing the biggest improvement is in latency.

This is more important in live recording esp vocals so the singer has less lag between singing and hearing back in the headphones.

Also improves outboard processing if you use any outboard gear during your mixing / mastering.

Features, in out, that stuff changes too.

I think they may be hawking their already famous preamps as better too, but .....

BTW as you can see in the ad, you can run these on Thunderbolt too, if that is a concern.

3. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

I bought all the parts to build a PC with Thunderbolt over 2 years ago. Now finally Focusrite has drivers for Windows and PC technology has jumped quite a bit. DAMN

If the drivers are reliable for Win 8.1 and 10, I'd love to buy an 8PreX. Superb value and performance for $1K. Latency ratings beyond unnoticeable.

Now to find an extra $1K laying around. Too many car repairs for all the expensive stuff. I haven't even bought the hardware for my new Tele build.

Can you say Bank Job? No... I mean getting a job at a bank! No.... Really. :naughty: LOL

4. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

The improved latency could be nice, as I'm getting more and more into singing and stuff. Otherwise, overall my demands/needs are pretty low.

5. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I hear ya. Seems like there's always something else money could (or should) be going to.