Clapton's Beano Burst

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by zoso304, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

It's not the guitar itself, but the man playing it that makes it sound so good. Interesting nontheless.

2 people like this.
  2. NimrodPiles

NimrodPiles Senior Member

In an interview many years back ('60's) EC said he used to buy Clifford Essex guitar strings and banjo firsts from the Clifford Essex shop in London.
    He would move them over, as stated above and use the banjo string as the first.

After that interview quite a few people travelled up to the CE shop to buy the same strings.
    They were decent strings and came in a blue/white paper packet.

2 people like this.
  3. Meddled

Meddled Senior Member

I still like the idea that Roy Wood is playing the Beano LP on those late-period videos of The Move.

4. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

In reply to #371: Clapton in fact for some time had been trying, under The Third King's influence, to buy a Les Paul- which were scarce in Britain in '65- when he ran into Andy Summers who had just bought a Burst for 80 pounds at Lew Davis' shop and told him there was a second one there, at the same price. Clapton ran out and bought it; Les Pauls might not have been expensive yet, but they were already highly sought after by guitarists 'in the know' (a year or two later in London, the price was already climbing past that of a new SG).

Clapton on Beano: "The best Les Paul I ever had… just a regular sunburst Les Paul that I bought in one of the shops in London right after I’d seen Freddie King’s album cover of Let’s Hide Away And Dance Away, where he’s playing a gold-top. It had humbuckers and was almost brand new – original case with that lovely purple velvet lining. Just magnificent. I never really found one as good as that. I do miss that one." Trying to replace it, Clapton bought Summers' Lester and also the red one he later gave to George Harrison.

5. pawpaw

pawpaw Senior Member

Now compare this picture to a recent picture of 9-0879.

6. goldtop0

goldtop0 Senior Member

Or 9 0878 for that matter.......obvious difference is no grovers in both cases.
    His Beanoburst is generally acknowledged as having been a '60....because of the faster playing thinner style neck that EC liked and as also noted by Peter Green at the time.
    There have been others that have purported that their LP is the beano including The Beast that is a '59.

7. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

[​IMG]

I don't think so.

8. RevWillie

RevWillie Senior Member

3 people like this.
  9. Busso

Busso Senior Member

The Beano definitely looks like a 1960 in the 7xxx + serial number range, going by that photo. That seam and the position of the tailpiece relative to the neck volume control would certainly suggest so.

Though of course, the angle the photo is taken from could be a factor. Hard to say for sure without more photos.

10. TM1

TM1 Senior Member

Beano was stolen out of the church hall in Neasden (Kensal Rise) where Cream were rehearsing in late July 1966. It was very near Ginger Baker's home. The moron that stole it went back the next night and took the case. It was nicked between July 25th-29th, `66.
    The Les Paul that Andy Summers sold to Eric was used on "Fresh Cream". It is in possession of my friend Drew Berlin. The headstock had been broken on it and was fixed decades ago.
    Marshall Combo: it was, by the best of accounts, traded back to Marshall when Cream bought their first set of stacks. EC's first 100 watt head had KT-66's in the output section

3 people like this.
  11. goldtop0

goldtop0 Senior Member

The things that negate a later '60 serial # are the bell knobs and the double white PAF in the neck.

12. goldtop0

goldtop0 Senior Member

That fills in the gaps in a sensible way Don.......thanks for that.
    Good that Drew's got the LP.........I'd wondered where it ended up:cool:

1 person likes this.
  13. Busso

Busso Senior Member

Well the knobs could easily have been replaced. Who knows, perhaps they had a set of the old knobs to use up and it left the factory that way...

No idea about the double whites, when were these supposed to have been phased out?

14. goldtop0

goldtop0 Senior Member

Unlike today, players in the '60s kept their guitars stock standard so those bell knobs would have come with the Beanoburst from the factory early to mid 1960 at the latest. There's a timeline with the collectors/traders in these LPs that they say things changed mid '60.
    Have a look at the Summersburst the LP that EC used on Fresh Cream, tomato top and double black pups plus reflector knobs which is true for a later '60 LP.

15. TM1

TM1 Senior Member

Thanks! Drew is suppose to call me the next time he has the "SummersBurst" out of it's lock-up. I'll go check it out and take some photos.

1 person likes this.
  16. RevWillie

RevWillie Senior Member

Agreed. Beano looks faded and has bonnet knobs, which IMO makes it an early/mid-'60. Early enough to have a fading finish, DW pickup, and bonnet knobs, but late enough to have the (somewhat) slimmer neck. Gibson was playing around with finishes in that period and I've seen late-but-fading finishes and early-but-non-fading finishes in the mid-'60s. My guess would be something in the 0 14xx range (known for skinny necks) or maybe 0 2xxx range.

17. Mikeb

Mikeb Senior Member

No way, I was in Kensal rise last week!! :wow::thumb:

18. LPPILOT

LPPILOT Senior Member

You 'd think it would have surfaced by now . Who ever stole it , may have assumed room temp by now. So either another bum has it or it was hidden away awaiting a family member to stumble on it hidden in a wall or some crazy place.

It might been right near where it was taken with in a few miles hidden in home now occupied by someone totally unrelated to the thief.

19. hoss

hoss Senior Member

Or it was refinished black shortly after the theft...

20. goldtop0

goldtop0 Senior Member

Bet she's a non-fader Don............but it would be great to see the pics and be proved wrong:cool:
    The tone EC got with that LP and the stack on Fresh Cream is amazing........Rollin' and Tumblin' is a standout!!

1 person likes this.