Clapton Says He is Going Deaf

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by ToneasaurusRex, Jan 12, 2018.

1. lawrev

lawrev Senior Member

This is probably a basic question, or perhaps I'm out of the performing loop, but why is it necessary even now to have large stacks of amps in most venues (with the exception of stadiums)?

2. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

I hate tinnitus. The ringing is always there. I also have some hearing loss. I hate it when people speak softly. I try reading their lips. It sucks sometimes.

What? Huh? Eh?

NorlinBlackBeauty and Laggspike like this.
  3. Laggspike

Laggspike Senior Member

I mostly have the hearing loss part, i also try read the lips lol

I have started to learn Swedish sign language, its really really awesome, you should learn some sign language if you have some co-workers who can speak it!
    Has helped me loads!

Bytor1958 likes this.
  4. landguitar

landguitar Double Platinum Supporter

That's a loaded comment and maybe tongue in cheek, which I will leave alone, except to comment that I recently saw something (here's the age part - I don't remember what the show was...) that was a quick question to Charlie Watts about whether he missed Bill Wyman playing with them - and Charlie sidestepped that and said something to the effect that it was unfortunate that Bill missed the better tour economics of today...
    Which is partly why they don't retire - like older actors (and a lot of regular folks) they are continuing to burnish their retirement savings. Even though they have a lot, they don't live simple lives.
    Also, most of these folks, like us, just love to play music! And the way they tour, it's pretty much first class travel with hand-holding the whole time. Not touching anything but their instruments, food and drink and the hotel key... I figure they've been away from their families their whole lives and it's the way they live. And most of them do it because they still get the rush of performing in front of all the fans...

As far as Eric goes, I have a huge respect for his song writing, playing and singing; although not his choice of guitars in the majority of his career...:lol:

I saw him about 2 years ago and it was a great, long show. He didn't do a lot of fast playing, but when he did, it was so smooth and tasty, just like always. The one think I remember, is that he didn't smile the whole show. I recently saw a quote from Jeff Beck, in a rare moment of critique, saying that Eric doesn't have a sense of humor...

it's just going to get weirder as these folks do start to hang it up, not tour or record, then one day we read about that dreaded day...and we continue to listen to their music everywhere. Even the grocery store! There is a growing list of folks that I still have a hard time believing are gone - Johnny Winter, Gary Moore, David Bowie, Tom Petty. Just watched Sound City and that brought it home even more...

Classicplayer likes this.
  5. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

Old age and gravity suck...they're killing all of us. I'm glad Clapton can still perform at all. His music has brought enjoyment and entertainment to me for decades.

SteveGangi and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  6. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

It isn't. It isn't even necessary at stadiums.

Most big time bands who do tour with high wattage amps will have the cabs behind the stage.

Also low stage volume is happening a lot.

SteveGangi and lawrev like this.
  7. Victek

Victek Senior Member

Ok, he expected it, but I still don't understand your point. Do you feel it's a problem that he mentioned his physical challenges in the interview?

8. Victek

Victek Senior Member

Right. It's been possible for some time to control the stage volume and audience volume independently in large venues. It's smaller venues where volume can be problematic due to drums, overly enthusiastic guitar players, etc (there's one in every group, isn't there?) :naughty:

lawrev and Mr Insane like this.
  9. Dilemma

Dilemma Loud Pipes Ruin Naps Premium Member

All this originality. In one thread to boot.

Dun Ringill and Crotch like this.
  10. 52dedhed

52dedhed Junior Member

But it beats the alternative.

SteveGangi likes this.
  11. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I believe this to be true as well to an extent. He's a weird dude that has been through a lot. One of the best players ever yet always wanted to take the back seat, never up front. Very shy, guarded, and mellow. I've watched just about every interview with him and the best is to read his book. Makes you understand him and what he's been through more than anything I have ever seen or read outside of the book. Looking forward to Life in 12 Bars.

Mr Insane likes this.
  12. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Senior Member

Same here. When I wake up in the morning it's the worst. Sounds like a field full of crickets. But my hands are in good shape and I wear ear plugs now to try and keep the hearing I have left. I sympathize with anyone that has to live with tinitus. It's seriously sucks!!

13. Kashmir

Kashmir Senior Member

I have a small case of tinnitus as well. I think all rock/blues guitarists have it by the time you reach your 50s. And yes, by the time you're in your 60s and 70s, you're going deaf as well.

14. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

Lots of people go deaf in old age and loud noise has nothing to do with it.It can be genetic.

Classicplayer likes this.
  15. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

I tell people to annunciate more clearly. Some people mumble without realizing it. I also read lips to an extent, been doing so for 21 years.

It's always "worst" for me. It does vary a little - sometimes accompanied by clicking. I cannot hear any ambient sounds much over 8 KHz as it gets lost in the din of tinnitus. Normal hearing can detect up to about 20 KHz. Some hear a bit higher. Human hearing peaks at around 12 years of age. Women typically have better hearing.

16. edouglaspratt

edouglaspratt Junior Member

He's what, near 75? But he's an older 70-something, accepting so humbly the damage that serious tobacco, alcohol and other drugs addiction did to his body. His gratitude for being here with us still is from the heart and soul of recovery.

Cheers,

Doug

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Crotch and NorlinBlackBeauty like this.
  17. bungle

bungle Premium Member

Here I thought I was unique. Didn't read the thread. :laugh2:

18. danohat

danohat Senior Member

HUH??!!

19. Markv77

Markv77 Junior Member

I never understand the Clapton hate. I look at it this way, if he had died at 27(around the peak of his heroin habit) like so many rock stars we worship, he would be worshiped at the same level as those artists we lost too soon. By 1972, he would have given us the Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith and some of his peak solo material like Layla. But lucky for him and us, he made it through a lot of personal challenges. Subsequently he did some great collaboration work, as well as a fantastic unplugged album. Sure there are times he phoned it in, but he's allowed. He made his mark before he was even in his 30's. I'd rather have him making new music than be a host on a reality TV show resting on the laurels of his past.

Bummed to hear he's losing his hearing.

kiko and pnuggett like this.
  20. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I believe it. They hear shit we don’t even say.