Clapton Says He is Going Deaf

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by ToneasaurusRex, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

20180113_002850.jpg

jenton70 likes this.
  2. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

That man has a lot to be proud of. Personally, I’d love to see him reboot his MTV Unplugged set. It’s still a favorite album of mine. I play that slide part from “Running on Faith” probably every time I pull the slide out, which is often. I still don’t nail it. That, and “From the Cradle” are my two favorite Clapton records, and two of my favorite records, period.
    I use Hearos when I crank up in earnest, and make my kid do the same. It’s not AS big of a deal with my 5f2 home build, but that 2204 can do some damage when it gets singing. I can only imagine what multiple 100w fullstacks can do.
    You can’t undo hearing damage. If it was a money thing, the rockstars would all be fine, but they’re not, with Pete, Brian, and now Eric being glaring examples of that.
    I hope he continues with studio work, both playing and producing. He’s still got it. He’s not as electrifying as Jack White and that school of players who wail with bloody fingers, but I prefer him to JoeB. He’s a guy who can dial 5 numbers and have 5 legendary musicians show up anywhere for anything. I’d love to see him capitalize on that, without having 15 guitar players lined up on a stage, passing the 12-bar around like a doobie.
    Some good song selection and they could really make something great.
    But the problem I feel with blues music is that (excepting Texas and Chicago blues) it feels kinda fake if it’s not an old black guy on a porch with a dobro and bib overalls or wearing a wool suit in a smoky club. So it’s naturally detached from seeing a bunch of rich white guys crooning about catfish and outside women.

3. Crotch

Love when m&m goes straight

4. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

5. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

You know what? At age 74 my hearing isn't what it used to be either. And it doesn't help that when the guy built our house about six years ago I told him to soundproof my little music room, and he soundproofed the whole house! So my mate and I end up yelling for each other in the house. But when I play in my music room, I've got a set of those "noise cancelling" head sets that are used on airline flights, and I use them when I play. Because of the builder's screw-up I can crank it up as loud as I want and not disturb anybody. And my use of this head set makes me sound better -- to me. Maybe it is just because my playing is sh*tty, or maybe it is because it gives me the sound of playing in a larger venue. But in any event, it keeps my hearing from being damaged further by loud guitar playing.

Clapton will always play good. He knows where to fret and how to attack the strings. He'd play good if he were deaf. His problems with his hand may slow him down a bit, but if we wanted to hear a shredder, we wouldn't buy a ticket to here Clapton anyway! Tinnitus is an old age thing where you here a sound like crickets chirping but there are none, but it goes away when you crank your amp. He will sound just great -- until, like the rest of us old guys -- he is gone.

6. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself Senior Member

Glad to see love for Clapton here. Oddly enough in my experience he is not so highly regarded on Strat Talk. But that forum is "eh" anyways.

Long live slowhand!

kiko, Dolebludger, RichBrew and 3 others like this.
  7. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Don’t get me (or many of us) wrong.... He’s made me yawn for probably most of his career. But he’s got the music in him, and I know he can do it. He was part of some legendary rock music, and he’s sometimes a hell of a blues man.
    To me, he’s hit and miss. But good God above, when that man hits....
    As for the Strat, he sounds fine on it. But his Gibson days and acoustic blues is really where he shines, IMO.

JohnnyN, kiko, Roberteaux and 3 others like this.
  8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Yeah, "hit-and-miss" describes my take on his work. I love most of his BB & Cream stuff, and his later live blues ... but I tuned out with his 70s output for his studio work.

You'd mentioned "Running on Faith" the other night, and that's a great cut too. But I really only like his stuff when he's playing with fire.

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  9. Crotch

I've really gotten into Journeyman recently. First sober album and no alibis is a sleeper jam.

ToneasaurusRex likes this.
  10. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

Like Dolebugger (an I'm older than he), I have tinnitus, but I can still hear my guitars OK. I'm lucky that I still have good left hand finger dexterity and my speed has increased over time. My mind's "map" of the finger-board solidified over 30 years ago, so that has been my secret "weapon". What has diminished with age is my concentration ability when it comes to playing complicated pieces of music.

It happens to us all in time in one degree or another. I'm not a big fan of Eric, but my sympathies go out to him. He has nothing to prove to the world; he's been there. Done that.

A great example of a player who has kept it together and still has great respect @ 77 is one Jimmy Capps of Country music fame. He appears weekly on RFD-TV as the "house band" for Larry's Country Diner. Most of his fellow session buddies have retired or have gone on, but he can still show you great tone and licks. He remarked once in an interview about what improved his playing the most. He stated that he took a course in "time management" and I assume he meant musical time. It must have paid off big time; considering the number of hit recordings that came out of Nashville on which he played. Those hits stated back in the 1960s. Some time of his work is out there on YouTube.

Classicplayer

11. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Going deaf, eh?:hmm: Well, this explains why he switched to Strats! :naughty:

J/K :io:
    (I mean, somebody had to say it...sorry, couldn’t resist;))

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  12. Laggspike

Laggspike Senior Member

I'm 28, and people near me pretty much HAVE to raise their voice, so i can hear whatever being said..

Yes, i need to check up my ears. and NO, i do NOT play that loud anymore.. even tho its fun!

13. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Huh..??

14. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Speak for yourself! What did he expect coming up in the world of full stack Marshall amps etc. ??

15. Victek

Victek Senior Member

As you say it's not a professional recording - there's no shortage of low fidelity vids on Youtube. I've watched a number of his performances and find his tone a little dark at times, but obviously his tone has nothing to do with his age. I'm not a big fan of strats either, lol, but I wouldn't walk out on a good player for those reasons.

16. Victek

Victek Senior Member

We don't know if he expected anything. I played in loud bands in the 60s/70s and hearing loss wasn't understood nearly as well then as it is now. Fortunately I got away from it, but I do have some mild hearing loss now which I attribute to those loud performance days.

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  17. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

i feel his pain...its no fun listening to the steady whine of tinninitis.my ears have been ringing for 20 years.in fact tomorrow im going to the VA and pick up my hearing aids,it would be nice not to have to say "huh?" every time somebody speaks to me.

Roberteaux likes this.
  18. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I talked to him..he expected it
    :dude:

19. Andycapt

Andycapt Junior Member

As we grow older and our begin hands ache it becomes more apparent that, unfortunately, youth is wasted on the young...

20. bungle

bungle Premium Member