Clapton maestro tailpiece mod for 63 SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Blacksheep, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Member

Anyone know where I can get a modded tailpiece like this?:

http://i.imgur.com/wLJag3k.jpg

My 63 SG plays fantastically until you get right up the dusty end (17th fret) when it suddenly becomes very plinky (technical term) with no sustain at all.

I'm pretty sure this is because of the bad break angle caused by the Maestro. So I though I might try the Clapton The Fool mod. Don't want to mod or otherwise tinker with the original Maestro for obvious reasons.

2. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

My comments are just observations/suggestions..Sorry if they seen obvious or that you've already contemplated them.

I poked around some and haven't seen a Maestro for sale in that configuration but..

Do you have the tools-ability to mod one yourself or maybe know of a machine shop that could do the work?

It appears that what was done was that the "Comb(?)" of the tailpiece was removed(Cut off and the remnants ground off/cleaned up).

Comb.jpg
    Then holes were drilled in the bar for the strings.

Comb2.jpg

Then re-chromed..

41cca113h.jpg

Having typed all that..Looking at this old image of the real guitar when Rundgren first owned it, it doesn't look like the mod actually helped/did much for the break angle of the strings. (Maybe that's why it eventually ends up with a Stop TP?)

Captureos.JPG

Soo if you've read this far:laugh2:, It might turn out that your only option would be to buy a Maestro or copy of one(Depending on how much you're looking/willing to spend) and have the Mods done.

3. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Member

Yes I've come to the same conclusion as you. I think I'd need the machining done by a pro, the chances of maiming myself are probably quite high.

The_Nuge likes this.
  4. chasenblues

I'm mostly all thumbs myself.:rofl:

5. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

You might get a little extra break angle by leaving the "comb" in place, drilling the holes through the bar like the modded one, and running the strings under the comb/spring plate. Then again, string tension might be enough to pull them all the way straight anyway, but it could provide a little damping behind the bridge, if nothing else.

6. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

If that guitar has the wrap around bridge on it. Why not just slide the top part of the trem out and just use the wrap around bridge? If it's an ABR then use the above mentioned method. Mine didn't have a trap style ,but, here is my Melody Maker.
    [​IMG]

7. chasenblues

:hmm:
    Just more general observations/comments,I've never held or seen one in person.

Does the bottom section of the "comb" on your guitar sit/rest on top of the guitars body?

P1020728.jpg

If it sits on top of the guitar i would imagine that it won't make changing the strings particularly easy if you had to force them under the comb to go over the bridge.

8. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Looking at the last picture, I'd just leave it alone. Nothings going to change as far as angle. Maybe a 335 trapazoid? And then that may not change anything either. Did you check if the frets were level?

9. chasenblues

10. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Member

Thanks for suggestions. I emailed Dan who said he could make me one . . but would really need the guitar. My need isn't so great that I'd risk sending a 63 SG from UK!

The comb on mine is not flat on the felt, there is a small amount of play.

I'll probably try to get a repro Maestro and find someone near me who can do the metalwork.

11. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

That's my SG in the initial post. Unfortunately, photobucket has removed the pictures...

I'm not clear I understand your issue, but I have no problems playing above the 17th fret.

I didn't originally look to go this route. I traded a HM for a '63 husk that someone bought to part out. The vibrola that he had installed rattled and I wanted a vintage one to restore it. I was looking on ebay and happened upon this option and bought it, partially due to price and partially because I don't imagine I will use the vibrola anyways, so it just removed something that was in the way.

12. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

I bet drilling through the hook-back/leading edge of the comb would give you lots of break angle...