Claims to be a 63' SG... any thoughts??

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by EVH-SETH, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Ducati

Ducati V.I.P. Member

The front of the body looks brand new, with all new parts. The large pickguard is bizarre and not attractive.

The back of the headstock looks like the serial number was masked off for a refin, and the rounded edges and corners support that. I would pass on this one.

2. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

OK, then you possibly have a good candidate here. Let me ask you a few more questions though.

What is his cash asking price (I know zero about American standard teles so I don't want to attempt a value comparison).

Do you know if the guitar has had any structural damage like heel headstock or jack breaks/repairs?

3. EVH-SETH

EVH-SETH Senior Member

He hasnt gotten back to me yet on my break or repair question. I guess his asking price was $1000, but i think hes just wanting another guitar. I would put my tele at $800. and its a straight trade, no cash invloved.

4. EVH-SETH

EVH-SETH Senior Member

I would definitely change the pickguard back to original or a full face like you see now a days.

5. Kevin James

I would agree about the finish. If it were me and I was interested in this guitar I would have to go in with the assumption that NOTHING on the guitar (including the finish) was original but the wood itself.

Based on that, if there are no breaks, cracks etc..no fugly routes under that guard, then I think it could be a good trade if he likes how it plays.

It should be looked at soley as an opportunity to get into some old wood for cheap and be able to do whatever he wants to it and mod away to his hearts content without detracting from any value (which is long gone). Expecting any more out of it than that would be a set up to disappointment.

I would also keep in mind though that this is NOT a restoration candidate IMO. I would not spend money on any original parts on this guitar, you will only be digging a hole.

3 people like this.
  6. EVH-SETH

EVH-SETH Senior Member

Pretty much nailed it on the head bro. :cheers:

7. Kevin James

So I missed this part and I have to ask, even if just to play devil's advocate.... If you love the tele why would you trade it away?

I do think if all the things I already mentioned are good (no breaks, no ugly routes yada yada yada) then I think it's fair trade, BUT if your trading something you already KNOW you love for something you HOPE you will love.... thats a risk you better put some serious thought into.

Is there any possibility of offering him $800-$900 cash and keeping the tele?

8. EVH-SETH

EVH-SETH Senior Member

That is a very

9. EVH-SETH

EVH-SETH Senior Member

That's a very valid point. I do like the tele but I really said that just to say it was worth a little bit to me. A 63(ish) SG as opposed to a tele would be an easy decision.

10. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

This is a head-on shot of a real '63 SG Special from the GC store in Hallandale FL.

[​IMG]

I would compare this with the other guitar in person. If that one does not have era-correct P-90's and tone caps, then a restoration will cost you an extra $550 minimum. Obviously you want to unscrew the pickguard from the guitar in question. I have seen extra holes drilled by some people to accommodate switches, effects, etc., within the guitar. If you buy this one, then you may not bond with it until you come to terms with the mods, and eventually restore it with the correct pickups and controls/caps. You will be buying on faith.

1 person likes this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I would just take a very skeptical look at the SG, in person. If it speaks to you, there will be no question. If it is a trainwreck, walk away.

If the other guy can't understand that you have serious questions about such a guitar, I would walk away for that reason, too.

The P-90 SGs out now and recently are very good guitars and worthy of consideration, IMHO.

2 people like this.
  12. Kevin James

If the plan was to restore this guitar than it would become far more expensive than it is worth. Its only worth it if he likes it the way it is or will be satisfied with cheaper repro parts.

If he needs fully original parts/finish/electronics to be happy he would be better off looking for an all original guitar with a professionally repaired head/heel break to keep the price down.

13. EVH-SETH

EVH-SETH Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks good to me! Yea the only thing i want to change at this point is the pickguard and knobs. other than that im gonna leave it as is and play it.

1 person likes this.
  14. EVH-SETH

EVH-SETH Senior Member

Luckily hes being very honest and tells me it may need a fret job, and yes it was refinished at some point, not very well he adds.

1 person likes this.
  15. Kevin James

Ask for a picture of under the pickguard. And a refret? It already had at least one.

16. EVH-SETH

EVH-SETH Senior Member

Thats exactly what i told him. if he takes it off and i can get an "original" pickguard on there ill be happy. He just said he would

17. EVH-SETH

EVH-SETH Senior Member

Heres the money shot fellas...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Kevin James

Thanks for the additional pics. Its definitely a Special and not a converted junior so thats good but the pots, switch and wiring are not original.

I can also see a black wire (ground) sticking under the pick guard which would not be run that way from the factory. You really need a shot with the guard off.

Oh... and input jack break.

<you posted more pics while I was typing edit>

That bridge pickup route is fugly. I don't know what the heck happened there but it aint right and i don't think its going to look right with the correct guard. And the pickups are not original. I don't think I'd do it man. Not in a trade for a guitar you really like. If you can swing it, offer him $650 -$700 but other than that at this point I'd walk if it were me.

5 people like this.
  19. EVH-SETH

EVH-SETH Senior Member

Im getting a "let it go" vibe from everyone. Just cant get off that year.

20. EVH-SETH

EVH-SETH Senior Member

Oops i think i posted photos and you posted your comment at the same time. They are there.