CITES update

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by goodvibes, Dec 11, 2016.

1. goodvibes

goodvibes Premium Member

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if this has already been posted but I found this article on CITES new regulations. I wanted to post this in case someone here was thinking of selling outside the U.S. I'm selling a historic and I have a very interested buyer in China but after reading this I don't think I want to attempt the shipment now! long story short, CITES is regulating nearly all species of rosewood now. :shock::hmm:

https://reverb.com/news/new-cites-regulations-for-all-rosewood-species

danny f, Jester, mrfett and 5 others like this.
  2. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Wow ...Great Read...

I guess I'm keeping all of my lesters...and NOT dealing over seas....(even for hobbyist trade) which is all I do anyway

AND

Another reason for Gibson to increase their prices....Oh wait did they just anticipate this???

3. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

So only baked maple will be safe for export.

4. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

At least there's an exemption for instruments carried for personal use while traveling. This won't affect me any. :thumb:

5. Airplane

Airplane Senior Member

Finally

6. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

I'm glad I bought my instruments years ago. :shock:

This means prices for used guitars with striking rosewood will only go up. YAY!

7. John Vasco

John Vasco I'm with the band V.I.P. Member

WIth regard to this:
    "...It does not apply to instruments shipped within the borders of your country or instruments carried for personal use while traveling internationally ..."

The normal, safe, thing to do is to apply for a 'carnet' (usually of one year's duration) for each instrument you intend to carry across international borders. That is your proof of ownership prior to travel, and is allowable under CITES.

8. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Banned

Not really. It's only an Appendix II listing, which covers raw lumber exports from designated countries. Honduras mahogany has already been on it for some years. Doesn't apply to finished goods as does the Death List, Appendix I, with such things as BRW and ivory.

At any rate, Americans and visitors to America need to be less worried about CITES than about the Lacey Act.

9. goodvibes

goodvibes Premium Member

Careful! you need to check with each country's requirements. There is a link in the article. I checked for China and they do not accept personal use certificates (whatever this means but it does not sound good!).

10. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Taylor currently offers a 700 series acoustic marketed as Brazilian rosewood back and side wood? How they doing that? Now mind you it doesn't say "solid" anywhere, so maybe they are importing laminated sheets from the source country?

11. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Taylor, Prs and Martin still use Brazilian rosewood and Ebony that they get from sustainable sources that im sure they pay out the butt for and Gibson chooses not to do this. These woods can still be used but the hoops require to aquire them are costly.

12. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Nope no laminated sheets. They're using Brazilian rosewood that was imported into the US in 1991 or earlier. Brazilian was put on the cities list in 1991 I believe.

13. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars MLP Vendor

CITES sucks.........

14. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I guess I'm gonna need a Brazilian Rosewood Acoustic soon...the prices will probably go up soon....

15. FKO

FKO Senior Member

Great! now instrument with RW will increase in price simply because companies need to hire extra workers to fill up the CITES documents which does nothing to making a better instrument. Great way to increase productivity...

16. sws1

sws1 V.I.P. Member

On the contrary, the resale market for that guitar just diminished by 80% given it can only be purchased IN-country. Less buyers, less money.

17. FKO

FKO Senior Member

Not certain about other countries, however, majority of the guitars in the US resale market still floats within the country.

18. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

I agree. They should allow the harvesting of three large Brazilian rosewood trees a year to be sold to guitar manufacturers to build some awesome acoustics. This would have almost no effect on the forests in Brazil.

I would think that three large trees would produce about 1,000 guitars with the smaller branches producing a large number of fingerboards, bridges and headplates.

:hmm:

19. goodvibes

goodvibes Premium Member

20. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

2008 50th Anniversary Explorer Board = MGRW. :)

:cheers2: