Christmas

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Frogfur, Dec 1, 2017.

1. PRCJ

PRCJ Senior Member

We can argue about seasons until the end of time. It all depends where you live. Where I am summer is a hot, humid, soul crushing behemoth that begins in May and ends in October. [edit: And in winter the sky is yellow, the air smells like burning plastic and you can't breathe] BUT... Winter feels like everyone left the AC on.

I like cold, but I sure don't miss snow. I do miss breathing though...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 6:38 PM
    HeartString and Caleb like this.
  2. Kashmir

Kashmir Senior Member

I hear this all of the time. But is it really a thing? I've yet to see anyone become annoyed by hearing "Merry Christmas." So I never think about it when I see it or say it. And if I did run into someone who was annoyed by it, I'd make sure to say it to them every day. With that said, I've many Jewish friends I say Happy Hanukkah to as well.

Merry Christmas to all!

3. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I get annoyed when people say happy holidays. Daggum it, grow a pair and say the name of a holiday! Christmas, Hanukkah, whatever. Just quit being politically correct and go unintentionally piss some naggy people off! :rofl:

4. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Gee, thanks for that great advice. I'll try my hardest to "do it right" in the future :facepalm:

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Sometimes it ain't about being "politically correct" ... sometimes you get goddamned tired of saying the same thing to every single customer.

I'm a non-believer who has zero problems saying or hearing "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hannukah," and so on. I'm of the opinion that the well-wishes are worth more than the exact wording used.

No one can offend me without my permission. That goes for others as well, I reckon.

jdto likes this.
  6. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

13 more shifts to endure....:hyper:.

HeartString likes this.
  7. I Break Things

If you're working with people a lot, fair enough. It'd be less mind numbing to mix it up a bit. I just get annoyed by people who get offended by well wishes because of the wording and the people who are afraid to say happy or merry "whatever" because they're scared of offending people.

8. dave b

dave b Senior Member

I can't speak for other places (I'm in eastern Canada), but I have NEVER heard an individual actually say 'happy holidays'. People say merry Christmas. IT'S THE MARKETING.....always. The marketers trying their damnedest to not offend a single potential money-spending customer. As if it did:facepalm: I hear people complain about this very thing year after year, yet it gets no traction with the marketers. I'm a non-believer myself, and 'I' hate it.

That said....I love Christmas. All the best:cheers2:

HeartString and I Break Things like this.
  9. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I love the Christmas season! I've got no problems with trees and lights up early, decorations, toys, and strangers being just a hair less crappy to each other. I realize lots of people see it as corporatism, creeping up earlier and earlier each year in some exploitative agenda but, of all the things to stretch out and make more of, this one seems ok to me. It's all what you make of it. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and making you pull your wallet out (members in Detroit excluded) to buy gifts or spend money. Enjoy the lights and smells! Hold a door for someone else. Give a stranger that parking spot that you saw first. The holiday season is whatever you make of it.

I'll never be offended by anyone wishing me well or saying a thing that they feel is a kindness to me. Christmas, Xmas, Hanukah, Kwanza, Festivus, whatever you've got - if the intention is kindness, I'll welcome it and return the favor!

10. I Break Things

I actually got told happy holidays today, twice. :laugh2:

11. dave b

dave b Senior Member

The correct answer is "I'm not actually on holiday, but Merry Christmas anyway";)

I Break Things likes this.
  12. I Break Things

I would have been a smart ass, but... Those two people were nurses at the pain management clinic I go to. Don't piss off the people doing your meds! :rofl:

JonCanfield and dave b like this.
  13. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Meh. If someone is that wrapped up in the words rather than the expressed sentiment, their unhappiness probably has little to do with how someone says something, but rather how they themselves hear it.

jdto and I Break Things like this.
  14. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

What's with the snowflakes getting their panties in a twist over "Happy Holidays"?

Is it because Happy Holidays is sooooo PC that they were saying it back in the PC halcyon days of the 1940s?

15. mgenet

mgenet Earth = Cheese Burger Silver Supporter

Hell of a ChristalMass Gifty to give to the MLP motley crew...

16. bungle

bungle Senior Member

Tada.... Tree! Got this lil bigger last year. 10 min set up.:thumb: Where's the Rum & Eggnog? IMG_1721.JPG

17. Bigfoot410

Bigfoot410 Premium Member

18. parts

parts Senior Member

Neighnor lady came over to help me with the tree..

I had the heater set a little too high..
    [​IMG]

19. mgenet

mgenet Earth = Cheese Burger Silver Supporter

I'm not a Christian...my name is mgenet...not Christian... :cool2:

20. RedSkwirrell

RedSkwirrell Senior Member

Please don't share.
    TY.

:D