Chords to boso nova tune - 'Lonely'

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by To Need a Woman, Apr 12, 2017.

1. To Need a Woman

To Need a Woman Senior Member

Wondering what the chords of this 4 chord sequence are? The first chord being Bbm. I think the 3rd chord is F7, but not sure about the 2nd and 4th chords?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwVyAGo93c8

Thanks

2. horseman

horseman Premium Member

It's called BOSSA Nova or as many call 'Brazilian Jazz'.

Regarding the chords, I'll take a look when I am back home.
    Do you know Riffstation? I never used but seems to be something that could decode the chords of a youtube video. If you try, let me know the result as well.

https://play.riffstation.com

3. JonR

JonR Senior Member

That's hard!
    In terms of tuning, I think it's nearer Bm than Bbm, but going with Bbm I think you're right about chords 1 and 3. The problem is that the bass is the same 2-bar riff on both pairs of chords, even when it doesn't (strictly) fit.
    Chord 2 sounds to me like C7/Bb.
    Chord 3: F7 makes sense after C7, although the Bb bass makes it sound strange. I think there's a b9 (Gb) on it too.
    Chord 4 seems to be Abm7 - definitely odd in context, even without the Bb in the bass (clashing with the higher Cb). There's a Db in the melody too.

So there's some unusual chromaticism in there, although voice-leading is what makes it work (while the Bb pedal bass adds a sense mystery).

One thing I can tell you for certain: Riffstation won't get it. It only recognises the existence of major and minor triads and dom7 chords. The chord charts I've found elsewhere online don't seem to bear any resemblance to what I'm hearing either.

4. To Need a Woman

To Need a Woman Senior Member

Thanks,

I love that C/Bb chord