Chord Inversions

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by MIDNIGHT, Dec 18, 2007.

1. MIDNIGHT

MIDNIGHT V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

can anybody please give me the general concept on how to make up the notes to chord inversions please? :wave:

:fingersx:

:hippie:

2. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

Midnite brother, just spend a little more time just playing developing technique all this theory stuff can really get in the way of just playing.
    your worrying alot about things you dont need to right now.

3. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Jason , I couldnt agree again more with the ole Rev Slow down, Work on the tools and fundamentals of playing an electric , over an acoustic

4. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

and inversion is just reworking the chords so they dont fall in the root note sequence

take a regular 1st poistion C Chord the notes would be CEG and inversion would be
    GCEG or ECEG. tabs show them as slash chords G/C or E/C

so your just taking the 3rd or 5th of the chord and using it as the lead or bass note instead of the C regular root

listen to into to Jimi's... Wind cries mary. that whole sequence of the 6chords intro are inversions

5. Big John

Big John drinks are on the house V.I.P. Member

I use inverted suspended chords (2nd's & 4th's) all the time, and it really makes things sound interesting. Good stuff to use, especially if you're the only guitarist in the band (power-trio or guitar-keyboards), so the voicings won't be lost in the mix. :thumb:

6. Markster

Markster V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

7. MIDNIGHT

Rev & Don - but that's what i've been lacking all these years! the theory! i've been playing for 5 years already IMO: learnin' songs, playin' em, then forgetting' 'em.. i feel like i've wasted so much precious time.. i feel like i could have been so much better a player.. i feel that i'm taking it to the next level by learning theory.. and please don't think that it's hindering the playing.. i believe it's equipping me even better so that once i get a gig, i'll have more artillery to my command.. :D

8. MIDNIGHT

now THAT's what i wanted to hear :thumb:

i figured that's what it was.. just sorta wanted confirmation i guess? :rofl:

:p

:thumb:

9. MIDNIGHT

10. MIDNIGHT

yup! :wave: that's the thing right there.. if you're the only guitarist, you can fill in the highs while the keyboardist fills in the mids and the bassist fills in the lows :thumb: (or if there was 2 guitarists and no keyboardist, they could alternate between filling in the mids and the highs and the bassist still fills the lows :D)

11. lp59aholicDon

Nothin wrong with adding to your chord vocabulary, but again working the maximum with minium, This is what the better guitarists do, Work with picking dynamics as well as strum dynamics and the tone controls on your LP, Have your amp yet?

12. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

Nuthin wrong with that midnte, all Im saying is dont get so wrapped up in it that you forget what your trying to do and that is play. And what good is theory if ya cant play. And you cant learn it all in a short period of time. Learn in stages. LOL you'll forget the theory just as fast as you forget the songs you learn believe me

13. MIDNIGHT

ok agree :thumb:

14. lp59aholicDon

We are both just sayin , Slow it down there Jason, Work with ALL you have, absorb it into and within your present chops, blend it till its seemless within your playing, thats how you make it yours , This is a slow walk up the staircase, There is no express elevator to the penthouse suite

15. MIDNIGHT

good deal Don :wave: i agree too :D

16. lp59aholicDon

Jason, again just dont push it too much or too hard , the instrument and styles can be hard enough to work at times, over complicating or adding too much too soon will just fustrate, confuse , and hinder you more than help

17. MIDNIGHT

don't worry :p

without learning simple stuff like this, i'd hardly even be pushing at all :rofl:

:thumb:

18. tiedstick

tiedstick V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

^I agree with what everyone said so far (information and advice). But just my 2 cents: the EAR will always be your most important tool when it comes to music. You can forget theory, how to read music, etc,...but if you forget how to use your ears correctly....

Train them ears!!! Especially for an instrument like guitar, I'd say its the best tool.

19. SG_Man

SG_Man Member

gotta crawl before you walk

20. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

How true Rev, how true.:)