Chicago Guitar Show this weekend ; anyone?

Discussion in 'MLP Meets' started by jaik, May 13, 2015.

1. jaik

jaik Senior Member

anyone been to this one before? What should I expect?

I'm planning to go check it out; will any of y'all be out there? Bring your player condition goldtops ;) :fingersx:

I'll probably bring something nice to sell or trade out of

Chicago Guitar Show.
    May 16 & 17, at the DuPage Expo Center,
    4050 East Main St., St. Charles, IL.
    Produced by Texis Guitar Shows,

2. gtr425

gtr425 Member

I'll be there on Saturday. The St.Charles show is by far the best show in the Chicago area. I'll second jaik's request for player condition Goldtops! I bought a 1965 Super Reverb two years ago at the show... Since this is a Les Paul forum, here is a photo of a 1955 Goldtop I was playing while testing the Super Reverb. It seems like everyone that demos and/or buys vintage guitars always rave about what a tone monster they are or that it had some sort of mojo. This 1955 was a great looking LP with great checking, but sadly it didn't do anything for me. I have played about 6 or 7 vintage Goldtops and my fav so far was a modified 1953.
    55 LP w1965 Super Reverb.jpg

1 person likes this.
  3. Its Luke

Its Luke Premium Member

Would love to go, but can't make it this weekend..

4. jeff12

jeff12 Member

I'll be there Sunday if plans don't change. Don't do a booth at this show but go about every year.

5. jaik

jaik Senior Member

I'm probably going to go Saturday morning to scope it out, and sort of determine what kind of stuff to bring out Sunday too

6. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

I'll be there today looking round the various tables for 2-3 hours. Last time I went (2-3 yrs ago?) I heard the best-sounding Marshall combo that I've ever heard in my life, it was an old Lead 2x12 of some variety (might have even been SS *gasp*), guy was playing a strat thru it, no pedals or anything, and it sounded killer creamy/clean but also gutsy. Hard to describe. I also walked away from an offer to buy a LP Custom Classic natural for $1400.00 (it was legit, it just had EMGs in it).

So this year I'm going with money in my pocket and intention of finding something too good to let get away.

As far as bringing stuff to sell, is it worth bringing cheap guitars in the $200-$500 range? Or not even worth the time vs. what you could get on CL for them?
    I have a Dean Edge 5 bass ($250?) Cort 12-string acoustic ($100?) and Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric ($400-500?).

7. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

Ok I scored this time!

[​IMG][​IMG]

I was able to get about 20% off the tag price on each of these ( separate dealers).

'93 LP Cusom burgundy, I'd rate it 8.5/10

Marshall Master Lead Combo ('78?), 8/10

1 person likes this.
  8. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

Funny, I live minutes away and yet I'm not interested anymore.....

9. jaik

jaik Senior Member

I brought a 55 GT, a Mutron Biphase, Ross Compressor, Prescription Electronics Outbox, Ibanez 7 String Acoustic & a Baritone Acoustic but the offers I received were comical; and the things I'd have wanted to potentially trade towards were too different from the sort of things the booths I would want to trade at would be into anyway. It had more to do with what I brought vs what I want to get.
    But I did have a good time and played a great number of very very nice guitars.

Jim's Guitars was there with several cool pieces, though my camera died, they had a 1957 Les Paul in ridiculously clean condition; and a 52 renecked & ABR'd for 35 + Danny Gatton's LP custom & tele and lots of other nice stuff

At Saratoga Guitars I found this 1956 Les Paul tucked away, he was keeping it hid and asking 35k with no finish, but I think he really wanted to keep it for his kids; the neck was surprisingly small/shallow for a 50s paul, more like what I'd associate to a 60 shape. Cool evenly split top on this one.
    [​IMG]

CME bought this Epiphone Olympic today and had it on display, and really it was one of the finest playing and sounding guitars I came across, a real surprise
    [​IMG]

I saw a few things of this sort
    [​IMG]

Rock N Roll Vintage had that 1970 LP Custom for 5k, and a hidden 1969 LP Custom with a repair that had been refretted with giant jumbos for 5 something. It played well and felt pretty resonant for a Custom, with a decent medium type neck, I liked it
    [​IMG]

lots of Gretsch & Guild around
    [​IMG]

This shop from I think Oklahoma (?) in the back corner had a huge number of fine pieces, 40s Martin Ds , vintage teles, etc etc and a number of 30s/40s Gibson L5s
    this one in front sounded & played particularly well
    [​IMG]

more; these guys had a 1980 Mossman dread that was outstanding & quite tempting
    [​IMG]

a 1 owner 1948 L5 at Bizarre Guitars, this one was more well mannered and classier. They also had a 1980 BC Rich Supreme :p
    [​IMG]

and this
    [​IMG]

Guitar Center Hollywood had 3 items, a vintage strat, a 68 p bass, and this 1934 L10 that was very mellow sounding, a bit subdued but nice
    [​IMG]

I was looking at archtops mostly
    [​IMG]

Cash N Go Pawn had this 1952 ES125 that was best playing, most resonant ES125 I've ever played, it sold within a few minutes of me setting it back down.
    [​IMG]

There was a booth in the back carrying Wizard guitars, their brazilian rosewood single-cut sort of looked like a PRS but had this really amazing vibe to it; if you didn't look at it it felt more like a 50s LP than a historic or most CCs, just in the way it reacts, plus some more modern twists that were well thought out and effective. They're asking 4,400-ish and its really fine, not usually my sort of guitar, but quite exceptional.

Strings N Things had a lot of charming stuff & I was pretty tempted by a fine sounding Kalamazoo there and a 30s dobro that needed a new tuner but sounded amazing, he had a few other cool vibey pieces.

I got a cool wooden shaker from the booth selling cool wooden guitar stands by the entrance

Anyway lots more of course, its a big show

1 person likes this.
  10. jim w

jim w Senior Member

It was a pretty good show; maybe a bit smaller than last year?

Ran into some familiar faces there; always a great time.

11. gtr425

gtr425 Member

Jaik, my buddy Rob was talking to you about your bi-phase... he was the guy with the Maestro Rhythm 'n Sound. If I'd have realized you were THAT Jaik, and put 2 and 2 together I'd have said hi... I couldn't focus with all of the guitars around. I just found out today that another buddy of mine bought a 57 Alnico pu Custom. One of the dealers had it tucked away under a table... I can't wait to check that out. Have you ever posted pix of your 55 GT?