Cherub Rock Rhythm Guitar Effects/Tone

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by northernguitarguy, Oct 1, 2017.

1. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Howdy all, I hope you are well.

The SweatHogs are taking on this mammoth-sounding beast, it's a lot of fun to play. Everything feels in place except for my effects/tone. I'm playing the rhythm from the beginning to end and handling vocals. I play it clean on the intro and have been kicking on my Cornish G2 clone to my VOX Night Train for the entire song. Trying to recreate that Butch Vig 'wall of guitars' using the gear I have. Reading threads on the web that say a EHX Small Stone is in there too.

mdubya likes this.
  2. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

I find that playing a Strat with the neck pickup and a crapload of distortion will get you pretty close. That and play the riff on the low strings higher up the neck rather than on the lighter strings lower down the neck. But might be just close enough for me - when we play covers, we mangle them.

mdubya and northernguitarguy like this.
  3. northernguitarguy

Cheers, Rich.

I play the E power chord at the 7th fret, but I leave the low E string open and 'bounce' in beat over the chord. I have the rhythm down and can giv'er for the duration. Just trying to thicken the 'wall of guitar amps' sound I've started. With my gear it definitely sounds best with the Cornish clone. I think I read somewhere that Billy Corgan recorded the whole album with a muff and a dual-HB Strat. I'm banging it out on my Northern. Will try getting more neck pup into the mix.

Rich likes this.
  4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Big Muff for the rhythm tones. Billy used a Strat with Lace Sensor pickups which have a pretty distinct sound.

Super cool! ngg! I have been revisiting Siamese Dream and Gish a lot lately. What monstrous albums! What wicked playing.

Billy says he used something called a Micro Synthesizer pedal for the wild lead tones. I have never been able to find that pedal, myself.

MUSTANGCAT, freak, Rich and 1 other person like this.
  5. Rich

That sounds like how I play it, I don't recall exactly as it's been quite a while and I was just messing around with the riff. Try it with a neck pup that's a single coil as that helps cut through the wall of dirt.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  6. northernguitarguy

‘Calling Dr. 90, calling Dr. P-90’

Rich and mdubya like this.
  7. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Isn't the riff done with octaves and not a power chord?

Billy mentions boosting the Big Muff with a Distortion plus in the vid above.

Bad Monkey with the bass up and the treble pulled back might work? :hmm:

Rich and northernguitarguy like this.
  8. Rich

Yeah, while droning the low E string. It's a fun riff to play.

northernguitarguy and mdubya like this.
  9. Liquid State

Liquid State Premium Member

that video is brilliant. Freakin fuzz's and phasers man, fuzz's and phasers.....

10. christophervolume

christophervolume Senior Member

skip to about the 0:55 mark. i think reverb lays out pretty good SP sounds here. corgan was/is a total gear junky that does A LOT of experimenting/studio magic and tracking so it's hard to nail his tones, but you can get pretty close. smashing pumpkins were a HUGE reason i began to play and write music. my own stuff is nothing like corgan's genre/vibe stuff, but still got me interested none the less when i was young.

Rich, mdubya and northernguitarguy like this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Awesome video.

You guys have sent me down a rabbit hole. ;)

12. northernguitarguy

@mdubya You should have far less hassle punching up some Corgan tone. Probably preset #5763 or something like that. ;)

13. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

:rofl:

You might be surprised. :D

Last night I was going to create a new preset; Badger 18 and Big Muff and a Phase 90 or 45 to start. You can do that in a few minutes.

Being lazy, I used the Super Reverb (with the reverb off :eek2: ) and the Big Muff I already have set up.

I was trying to remember the Cherub riff. I like playing it without any distortion. Click, click, click, clickety-click. It's easy, man. :yesway:

ETA: that box of pedals is basically in the AX8. :p

14. northernguitarguy

IMO, the clean riff at the beginning is what plays through the whole song.

Rich likes this.
  15. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Billy and James double the riff live.

Damn, who says the 90's sucked?!?!? Wicked!!! :shock:

16. northernguitarguy

Ahh, I'm sure it's a lot of fun and it must be cool to have that stuff at your fingertips. However, I also like the challenge of making part of a song my 'own'. We cover Band On The Run and I do the Linda McCartney bombastic synth licks. I wanted to get my BuGG Daydream into my act and use it clean for the light 'fluttery' part ('Stuck inside these four walls') and driven by my Cornish G2 clone for the over the top part (right before 'If I ever get out of here'). I don't always get the accolades for my playing, but my band loves it and I've even had other musicians come up to ask, 'What the hell was that?'

17. northernguitarguy

Friggin awesome, thanks for posting. Jimmy Chamberlain is definitely my favourite drummer from that time.

18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

My inspiration has always been the British Blues (Yardbirds, Cream, The Who, Jeff Beck) and Jimi, taking the old songs (which weren't that old) and doing their own take. Also, taking lesser known songs and doing my own version.

Whether with real amp or the AX8, I don't spend much time worrying about copying someone else's tone. I might take inspiration from their tone, but that's as far as I go.

19. Rich

Yeah, I agree; it seems to be the same riff but from clean to OMFG distortion. The only variances are the "doo-de-doo" and extra chords (D to A? I don't remember).

Ha ha! Nice description, eh? Would probably be more useful if I wasn't such a hack player. :laugh2:

20. Rich

That's VERY helpful! For f's sake, I'm missing an entire hook in the main riff! :O