Check this out: Johan's pickup test

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by kiko, Jul 22, 2017.

1. kiko

kiko Senior Member

I don't know if this has been posted here before, check this out:

What do you guys think? Effective? Placebo? Or more voodoo? :)

2. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

It's not a placebo.

Without getting too technical [regarding the increased inductance & eddy currents / modified magnetic field & Q factor due to such a "trick"] let's say that it effectively reshapes the frequency and dynamic response of the pickup...

But if you do that, you might find that it diminishes the output level, increases hum & buzz and/or opens the door to serious squealing noises.

Putting an awfully bad cover on the pickup or lowering the tone pot around 6,5/10 might give something close without the related hassle and issues.

Footnote: there was a gadget like that to put above flat singles coils but I don't remember its name right now.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    kiko likes this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Coulda just left a decent pickup in the guitar instead of putting that gawd awful Super Distortion in there! :p

I have told him before I think the SD ruins his tone.

Guitar Rod and C.J. like this.
  4. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

It's not a placebo, but not much of a trick either. Vintage Gibson humbuckers had metal covers, it's not a mystery or rocket science. As far as trying to make a Super D sound vintage...my grandfather used to say "the right tool for the right job"

mdubya likes this.