Chasing tone

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by buckman, Jul 29, 2017.

1. buckman

buckman Member

Having freed up some regular money in my budget (I quit smoking in NY), I have been indulging my neverending tone quest. I have an original prog rock band that gigs occasionally and a classic rock cover band that works pretty steady.

Recent upgrades: 2017 Les Paul worn brown with 498s; EHX Soul Food; Eminence Cannabis Rex for the 1x12 openback I use on cover band gigs most of the time.

They have made a difference.

What have you found on your tone quest?

2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I tried that when I lived in Astoria but all those trips to Newark just to light up took up all my time.

rabidhamster and bulletproof like this.
  3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

A really good amp and speaker would be my thing.....well in my case its that x2 played in stereo.

I'm always bedroom vol, so pedals are my way of getting all the various tones I want at my vol level.

Of course I have very nice guitars and pickups too.....you cannot ignore 1 link of the chain.

4. buckman

buckman Member

My main rig is a Carvin V3M. I've rolled the tubes in it. My main cab is an early 80s Marshall 2x12 with Celestion 75s. I use the 1x12 a lot these days when space is tight. Its open back so our drummer gets more of me without excessive volume. The 1x12 started to sound ice-picky to me recently so I'm hoping the Crex with remedy that.