Chase Tone - Secret Preamp Pedal & Others

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by RAG7890, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

Hey Mason! You have been a great guide and most generous with your advise! I would love to get my mitts on the dynamic distortion I saw you demo-ing.
    Welcome to the forum.

2. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Senior Member

Fellow Chase Tone brothers! I'm glad to have found you :)

I've been rocking Kyle's gear for years now...his wahs are truly epic as are his fuzz pedals. He restored a late 60s Italian Vox for me with original NOS parts...incredible. I've had his Italian and Gypsy wahs as well as the Red Round Replica he built into an enclosure for me.

Customer service is the best I've ever had and his gear is just sick. The SP is cool too ;)

3. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:thumb: :applause: :applause:

Thanks for joining in. Yep Kyle is cool & offers great support.

Just out of interest have you played his Silver Stardust?

Thanks.

Cheers, Rudi.

4. MasterEvan07

I have one!

I also have the last all NOS parts Germanium trapezoid fuzz (a Red Stardust more or less) he made before his production becomes all new make parts.

5. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

What do you think of the Silver Stardust?

6. MasterEvan07

His fuzzes are great, very dynamic and always musical - the SS is no exception to that. It's one of those pedals that really requires you to make the most of your volume and tone knobs to find all the voices and nuances available.

7. zeneffect

zeneffect Senior Member

are there any differences between the older SPA and the newer Golden SPA? Only case/housing correct? I have the older grey one and just ordered another golden one.

8. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Good question, my mate in China just received 2 x Gold Case ones & loves them, from what he told me this morning. He'll post his own comments here, I'm sure, when he gets round to it.

I think they are identical except for the Case Color / Finish.

I might also take Kyle up on his offer to build me a SS but fine tuned to what I like, he was gracious enough to offer.

So maybe that & another Secret Preamp. :)

:cheers2:

9. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

Hello Rudi and cool folks here.

I just received 2 SP in gold shell, I was worried because Ive alway been a silver/nickle guy, but the gold shell is made tastefully as the pics show.

I turned down my amp(Aiken Intruder)’s gain knob to a total clean sound, play my sxxt for a while, turned on the SP, OK, its sounds a bit louder and fuller, is it the volume?So I turned off the SP and turn up the volum to a similar volume level when the SP was on. Truth is the SP does make the sound fuller. No doubt.

Now the dirty sound, the benifits is just more apparent, I play at home where loudness is an issue, so it’s like getting a heroin shot in the arm. There is so much more to the sound and response.

The SP not only make the sound full and rich, its makes playing more enjoyable, because you get more sensitivity and response from what you play.

For now I prefer the bright setting.

So I think since I got 2, why not double the fun, I connected them in serious, well, there is nothing negative. No muddiness whatsoever.

I have to say, its a drug bug, once you take a shot, the “off” time is just grey and boring.

I just wrote an email to Kyle to share my findings and say thanks to him, really nice guy.

I don’t know if there is any different rather than the color, I assume no tone difference. Will ask Kyle.

I want more of it!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

Re Dk Grey version VS Gold version, Kyle replies as below:
    Dark Grey Hammer vs Golden Edition:
    1. Gold Vein Powder Coat w/Gold Name Plate instead of Dark Grey Hammer Powder Coat w/Black Name Plate. (Grey finish was based off the old EP3 Grey Faceplates.)

2. New production 225P Orange Drop Polyester Film/Foil Capacitors instead of 1970s old 225Ps.

3. New production carbon film resistors with tighter tolerances than vintage carbon resistors.

4. Updated Circuit Layout w/Full Ground Plane for enhanced noise rejection in certain environments.

* Mainly cosmetic update and new production versions of the vintage resistors/capacitors; still using Orange Drops. *

11. zeneffect

zeneffect Senior Member

golden spa arrived today... documentation reflects all that was changed. new ground plane, no NOS vintage resistors or caps like the old grey ones, and the bright/dark switch was rotated 90 degrees, so front back on golden vs up down on grey... so glad I got a grey one before the golden spa came out :D

on both, ive moved the label down to the underside of the pedal... because if its a secret... why let everyone know it? Kyle's hand writing is much better than mine too.

**edit**

Just a/b the grey vs gold... there is a sonic difference at the same basic settings.

The golden spa has a touch more midrange honk to it and it feels a little tighter. The grey one is a touch more mellow and loose feeling. I prefer the grey one for now, but I suspect there is a burn in period on the new electronics which may mellow the gold out a touch to match the grey, or perhaps the new lower noise ground plane is bringing it out... it's all magic and wizardry to me, but my ears do not lie in this regard. They are subtly different.

12. zeneffect

zeneffect Senior Member

after playing with them for quite a few hours now... I think I prefer the newer golden SPA. It still has a touch more midrange focus (you really have to sit and try to hear it) and it does feel a little tighter (definitely NOT a bad thing) and looks great!

The differences between the two are extremely minimal, you have to really be nit-picking at them for hours to hear any difference, or have really REALLY good ears. Given that the new Golden SPA uses new production materials for resistors and caps, the peace of mind for reliability has increased dramatically. There is nothing bad I can say about the new golden spa. it rocks, don't be distracted by the new part as its inconsequential and 99.999999% cosmetic. You still get all the great tones one would expect, and to most every user that is looking at these there will be no difference between the older production grey ones and the newer golden ones other than increased reliability and an awesome colored golden box.

13. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Thanks for the comparison between the two Z. Appreciate it. :thumb: :applause:

:cheers2:

14. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

I have been out of the loop for a while, and glad to have found this thread alive and well. I recall Kyle mentioning he was on the last of his NOS parts when I ordered my "olive drab/grey" version. I think if anything, I would be more inclined to purchase a gold cased version, since there is a slight difference. Glad it is working out though. I can say that this pedal has been on almost all the time since the day I put it on the board. Rudi, 3D is the best description I have heard yet, nails it.
    Peaces

15. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Thanks Nick. :thumb:

Yeah, I thought 3D pretty much covers it................like the notes go from 1D to 3D. :D

A few friends have now bought one & found the same thing. Another has tried mine & commented that he liked it way more than the Xotic EP Boost that he had (Pedal with a great rep but I have never tried one).

This Pedal also sounds great through a Plexi.

I am going to order a few of the new Gold ones.............one for me so I have two & one for a mate of mine to use with his BE100, Shiva & DS in his Showroom.

Seems like everyone who buys a CT SPA really likes what it does when they plug it in, which is awesome. :)

Cheers, Rudi

16. MasterEvan07

Ah! I tried to find this thread a while back and couldn't! I currently have the Golden SP, the NOS parts Grey SP, a Silver Stardust, Red Stardust, and special 3-knob Ge fuzz that was the last NOS Ge Kyle made.

17. MasterEvan07

18. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Man,its cool to come back here after being gone for a bit and finding that y'all are still having a ball with SPA!!!!

Diggin' the new Gold ones Chase has done up,too:thumb:

19. MasterEvan07

I used my grey SP in my signal chain and my GSP in my Power Station FX loop as a solo boost...it worked really well...I was surprised by the added nice sparkly clarity and the 3dB boost was just enough to get me to rise above without knocking out the first few rows. Pretty cool.

20. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Hey y'all,got an email from Kyle....theres a pretty good Holiday sale on the Gold with free WW shipping...:thumb: