Chase Tone - Secret Preamp Pedal & Others

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by RAG7890, Apr 17, 2016.

1. zeneffect

zeneffect Senior Member

Well, I can try that but I have to wait a couple of weeks.

What I did try was throwing a TC Electronics Spark (clean boost) right after it before it hits the amp. There is a change, and its GOOD.

1 person likes this.
  2. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Thanks for that. :thumb:

Have you reversed the order?

The SPA should go last according to Kyle.

I'm now thinking of a Silver Stardust & another SPA. :shock:

:cheers2:

2 people like this.
  3. zeneffect

zeneffect Senior Member

Should would can cant... these are all just words. Andy Warhol pissed on a canvas and it's considered art. Where it belongs in the chain is just a guideline, there are no rules and what is "good" is subjective so always always experiment. Guitar >> Mooer green mile >> SPA >> spark >> or15 set clean = Tone of the gods imo.

What I've gotten out of the pedal is, the spark will boost higher than the spa. If I put it before the spa, it does practically nothing as I have the spa set to just about no bump in volume toggling it on and off. If I turn up the level on the od pedal, it saturates the sound but still limits the actual output after the spa. I use the spark to give it a little more kick in the pants so I can basically go from clean, dirty, and a boosted lead tone without ever touching the spa. If I turn up the level on the spa, it will overdrive the front end of the amp which is not what I want because single channel woes. I use the spark to basically channel switch to a dirty tone and add in the green mile to give it a little extra edge and to tighten things up a touch.

That being said, tomorrow it could be completely different!

1 person likes this.
  4. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I don't use that many Pedals. I'm just not a fan & prefer the Amp & my Volume knobs. Right now apart from the SPA I actually don't use any pedals & I like the fact that the boost is quite low.

I don't think this is a Pedal bought for boost, more adding rich harmonics & a 3D tone thing (for want of a better term)..........to create a bigger soundstage. :)

I understand that everyone has a different view of tone but I'm going off the feedback from Kyle provided by many users etc.

The only other Pedal I may add will be a Silver Stardust tuned for what I think I'll like (long story) so swapping then around to check is going to be fairly straight forward but I'll still go by Kyle's recommendation to start with.

P.S. Went to the joint Andy W. & Ai W. Exhibition here a month or so ago. :thumb:

3 people like this.
  5. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

One of the ways Ive ran'em,is with one SPA first in line(unity gain,toggle down)> Xotic AC > SPA just a slight boost,toggle down into a Phaez JTM type amp.....Love it. Used the same for throwing my Mesa into a fury as well....No matter what,I always have one on.:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  6. zeneffect

zeneffect Senior Member

don't mean to derail this thread but what are your guy's opinion on the phaez amps?

I see they are stupid affordable, but youtube tones don't translate to real tones to me.

7. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Try shooting "reedy" (Chris) a PM and also V2 (John / V2 Amplification). :)

Both great guys & helpful. Chris has a Phaez & John seems to know a fair bit about them.

LPCollector (Mark) also has one or had one & he's cool as well. I'd also shoot him a PM.

Obviously BP will comment in due course after he's finished playing with his "Secret". :laugh2: :naughty: :D

Just mention that I suggested you contacted them.

Cheers, Rudi

8. bulletproof

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/368874-phaez-how-do-they-compare.html

:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  9. zeneffect

zeneffect Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  10. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Overview on SPA Settings: -

[​IMG]

Thanks Kyle. :thumb:

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  11. bulletproof

Great starting point.....there are so many different flavors to be had in these little buggers. Right now,Im digging the 9'o'clock position with the toggle down.

1 person likes this.
  12. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

That toggle switch is a game changer. Depending on which guitar I am using, with the toggle up I can get almost strat sounds out of a set of Charlie Christians with the right attack.
    I keep meaning to ask why this pedal has to go in front of the buffer, but I can't say I have a complaint about it?

1 person likes this.
  13. bulletproof

Im not sure exactly....I use'em where they sound the best to me.....

And a big ole +1 to that toggle....Im damn near able to do the same with my Deluxe and them minis:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  14. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

Oh... forgot you had two....that leaves me curious. I have to work on replacing my Decibel 11 with a Voodoo Mondo power supply before I can add anything else.
    More first world problems!!!:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  15. bulletproof

I Have a ton of options running 2 of them.....:thumb:

And its the damndest thing,if neither is on,now my amp(s) sound lifeless....I have really developed an addiction to'em:laugh2:

3 people like this.
  16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

John when you run two together in Series & have them both set the same, for example at 14:00, do you get double the Boost?

I assume you would, sort of like a cascading Boost etc.

Cheers, Rudi

1 person likes this.
  17. bulletproof

Yup,its a nice,harmonic boost that happens with the 2 of them....one drives the other and then Ive used a Xotic EP at the end of the chain for a seriously thick overdrive. Its really cool what these pedals can do.....:thumb:

Im still trying to get some vids shot....however,as we all know,life life can intervene. Im seriously thinking of buying my own camera so I can do it all myself.

1 person likes this.
  18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

John, OK I have a plan............my mate (Charles Cilia / Luthier) played an Xotic EP Boost on another mate's (Irwin Thomas) custom Friedman Dirty Shirley (two MV's & two Gains..........he ordered this after he played my DS, which only has the 3 Way Gain Switch Mod).

Long story, they are both in Sydney & I am in Melbourne right now so I cannot have a go of this DS with the EP & the SPA together.

Anyway Charles was impressed with the EP in to the DS. We both have similar Pedal likes & dislikes so I am ordering one of these to go with the SPA & sending him my SPA to try out (I think he'll like it in front of his own BE100)

My thinking is that they both offer something different & will sound great together in to a DS & the EP can boost at higher dB's etc.

Can you let me know how the EP sounds pre & post ONE SPA. Also how did you set the EP Boost's DIP switches.

Thanks mate. :)

Cheers, Rudi

1 person likes this.
  19. bulletproof

Sure thing,brother.....I have the EP dips set to modern. With the SP(toggle down,10'oclock position) post EP(with the EP knob damn near off,so say,around 7 o'clock maybe),very thick sounding tone. This is my favorite setting by far......

Now,with the SP driving the EP,same EP settings and SP toggle up,a very cutting tone thats perfect for soloing.....And of course,I have to add- Experiment!!!!!!!!!! Many,many flavors available with just the one SP and one EP......

1 person likes this.
  20. VertexEffects

VertexEffects Junior Member

Nice rig!