Chase Tone - Secret Preamp Pedal & Others

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by RAG7890, Apr 17, 2016.

1. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Guys, I did a search here & couldn't find anything on this particular Pedal, so I was wondering if anyone has used one or owns one etc.

Rather than writing a load of information, please find the Link as follows: -

Secret Preamp

All the comments I have read elsewhere, sort of said things like "trust me just buy one" & "you cannot really see the benefits from a YT clip".

I generally do not use Pedals preferring the Volume Pot..........so I'd call myself a Pedal ignoramus. :laugh2:

While I am at it, the other Pedal from Chase Tone that I'm interested in is the Chase Tone Black Stardust..............because I happen to like David Gilmour a lot.

I currently have a Rodenberg GAS 808 + a BB Preamp + a Boss DD-20 Delay. I'm selling the GAS 808 & BB Preamp & will use the Secret Preamp (paid for it today) & will order a Specular Reverb next week.

These Pedals (Delay + Reverb + Secret Preamp) will run in to a Friedman Dirty Shirley, via the Effects Loop (not sure of the order at this stage though).

If anyone has any comments or suggestions I'd appreciate it. :)

Thanks in advance. :thumb:

:cheers2:

1 person likes this.
  2. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

I can't speak for the Chase Tone pedals, especially the Secret Preamp, but I've tried my hand at getting Gilmour sounds...the Mojo Hand FX Iron Bell Fuzz does an awesome job as a standalone unit.

Iron Bell Fuzz | Mojo Hand Fx

Not to mention cheaper than the Chase Tone Black Stardust fuzz. I built a clone of the Iron Bell and it's all I use for Gilmour stuff.

(I'm sure you're aware Gilmour's famous sound comes from a Big Muff, which can be had for relatively cheap. Obviously not the vintage units he used, but the newer ones can get the job done. He boosts them with a Colorsound Overdriver...not as cheap. But the Big Muff alone with a delay and some chorus can get you pretty dang close. I'd explore other options before dropping $200+ on a pedal that you can't find much information on.)

1 person likes this.
  3. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Many thanks Tweaker. :thumb: :applause:

I recently read a review on the Iron Bell, after stumbling across their Website...........highly regarded from what I could read.

Yep, I'm aware of the Big Muff & some of his other gear.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

I can't say enough about the Iron Bell (even though this thread is more about the preamp)...it's pretty freakin good. Lots of different Gilmour eras in that pedal.

1 person likes this.
  5. Quill

Quill Senior Member

That preamp (a colourful boost?) looks great, please tell us more when you get it.

1 person likes this.
  6. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Thanks again. When I read about it on their site I thought to myself that seemed like a great, cost effective option for someone like me.

Time & Money are two of my favourites so I'm using that as a yardstick. Kyle also mentions these two Songs for the Black Stardust.

Will do. :thumb:

From what I can tell, based on limited information, it just seems to add something nice to your inherent tone, with not really a load of boost per se. Sort of like adding girth or fattening it up a bit.

Really hard to tell from the YT's but quite a few owners love what it does. Basically like the older Echoplexes when they were on but not being used as an Echo. Players noticed having them in their signal chain just added that something.

I'm really interested in this as a way of making just a small but noticeable change / improvement. I tried the BBE Preamp & GAS808 and even though they're great Pedals, it's just not me, so maybe this will work.

Jim Wieder seems to like his & he's no slouch on a Guitar. :)

7. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

look man, Gilmour tone is a whole other thing. He used different pedals/guitars/amps at different times. It's a rabbit hole i and several others here have leapt down.

He never used an Echoplex preamp. The Black Stardust will get you up to DSOTM Gilmour tones - and lord knows they're not bad tones at all - but then after that you want/need a nice 70s Ram's Head style muff as they're brighter and raspier than the Iron Bell, which is more for the late 80s and Division Bell tones.

3 people like this.
  8. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I understand SD. Thanks. :thumb:

The thread is really asking about the CT Secret Preamp in the main & then I threw in the part about the Black Stardust since they are both made by Kyle & didn't see the point of running 2 threads.

Maybe I should have been a little more specific. :)

9. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I just ordered mine today....the secret preamp,that is.....gonna be very interesting. While Ive really come to love the Xotic EP-3,word has it that CT is the one to have. Only way to know is to try it:naughty:

2 people like this.
  10. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:shock:................man, I hope it works B, or I'm toast. :laugh2:

I just read a Thread on the GP from March 16th this year & they were saying the same thing. You have to try one & once you do, you won't look back.

As you said, only one way to find out. :)

Kyle answered a few questions for me overnight re signal chain. He said & I quote: -

"The Secret Preamp™ is ideally placed nearest to your amplifier's input (before preamp). If you have a dedicated pedal board buffer, you may prefer to experiment with the buffer before or after the Secret Preamp™. I would not place it in the effects loop.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask, Rudi."

So I'll run the Delay & Reverb through the Buffer & the CT Secret Preamp just before the Amp input, ex my Guitar...................& see how that works out. :fingersx:

Remember I am an absolute novice on Pedals BUT I have a good feeling about this, especially since I'm not a fan of Pedals & too much compression & fizz. :)

Not sure when I'll get mine but I paid for it on Saturday & it needs to ship to Australia.

1 person likes this.
  11. bulletproof

Yup,I plan on using mine just like the EP-3,with my Carbon Copy and the COT-50.....And yaaa,Im thinking I might receive mine a little before you,brother.....

And dont sweat over being new to pedals and such,man,we all gotta start somewhere:thumb:

2 people like this.
  12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Thanks B. :thumb: :)

Some more info from Kyle today. His service is top notch. :thumb: :applause:

"Hi Rudi,

Awesome news! Your Chase Tone™ Secret Preamp™ is complete! It's fine-tuned with the best NOS components and accurate vintage voltages. The expansive 3D field and player dynamics are great for expanding a musician's horizons for both clean and distorted playing.

Player's Tone Tips:

1. Ideal placement is near last in the signal chain. If you have a dedicated pedal board buffer, you may prefer the buffer after the SP for a more "consistent" sound.

2. Most customers prefer the bright (up toggle position) early EP3. The SP's dark (down toggle position) may be beneficial when used after a vintage Fuzz to tame the top end and still allow the "cranked amp n feedback" style and feel, yet at low volumes.

3. The Secret Preamp™ should only receive 9 volts DC via a battery or power supply. The internal charge circuit automatically ramps circuit input voltage to 26+ volts and is then regulated for consistent EP3 power. A good power supply is recommended for long term use.

It's wonderful to have you as a new customer of Chase Tone™!

If you have any questions, or need anything, please don't hesitate to contact us, Rudi.

Looking forward to an update after you play!!
    --
    Thanks!
    Kyle Chase
    Chase Tone

Now I should add, at this point, that I am in no way connected with Kyle financially or personally. I just like what he does & he's great to deal with...........just like many of the Vendors here. :)

I cannot comment on the CT Secret Preamp as yet but both B & I will shortly be providing feedback, so I'm looking forward to hearing this in front of my Amps. :fingersx:

:hmm:...........have a few crazy ideas but we'll see what happens. :naughty:

If this goes well, I may get one of his WAH Pedals................all my mates tell me to get one..............I've never even had a go of one. :shock: :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  13. bulletproof

Just received mine,brother....pics and a tone report to follow. After chores are done:laugh2:

And yup,I got a very prompt email from Kyle,too.....and Im looking at them wahs as well:naughty:

1 person likes this.
  14. Mustard Caps

Mustard Caps Senior Member

I love my SP, and am probably 1 of the main 1s over at GP exposing the greatness of the CT EP3.

Ive had mine over a year. I actually have 2 of them, and I sometimes use it before my Delay, and I have 1 that's always on towards the end.

The big thing about this pedal is that it adds nice harmonics. It doesn't do a big boost. I believe 6db, and if you expect a Big Boost you will be disappointed.

But as a tonal enhancer, it will be very apparent, though subtle. It adds harmonics.

Also if you use 1 in front of a POD ? Its nothing short of amazing in making it sound a million times better.

I don't use a POD, but my friend has 1, and we put the SP in front of it, and I was totally floored how much better it sounded. But that's not my bag.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. bulletproof

Right on, Mustard Caps.....if you remember,it was you that first told me about the SP in a thread that I had started about the Xotic EP:thumb:

Very anxious to try mine out here.....as a matter of fact,Im fixing to shower(been out on the tractor),eat and then play with it:naughty:

2 people like this.
  16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:squint:.......shower........eat......you have time to do that????? :laugh2: :laugh2: :naughty: :wave:

I'm hanging it out here....................throw me a bone. :fingersx: :D

Cheers, Rudi

1 person likes this.
  17. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Thanks for the overview & comment MC. Appreciate it. :)

TGP is where I first read about it & now I can probably blame you. :D

FWIW, I found out about Kyle when looking in to JTM45/100 Clones, which then led me to his site..............to the CT SP..........& then to TGP. :)

Funny you mention having two of them because I was thinking what if there are several great usable tones that you can use in one song................then I thought buy another. :D :wave:

Cheers, Rudi

2 people like this.
  18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:hmm:........you're still in that Shower aren't you B? :shock: :laugh2: :laugh2:

2 people like this.
  19. bulletproof

Yaaa,I figures I needed some " me time " :naughty: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Oh boy,I played with that SP for over 3 hours and all I can say is,RAG,you are gonna love it....And Mustard Caps(im saying this in my Han Solo voice)its true,all of it!! :laugh2:

Everything I love about the Xotic EP-3,well,the SP takes to new levels....used it in conjunction with a few of my favorite pedals(Xotic AC,RC and Lovepedal COT) and by itself into a Mesa Boogie TA-15....Im going to need another one! Love the " dark " vintage tones with my R8,just really thick,smooth tones and damn if it dont nail what I was trying to achieve with the X EP-3....Theres a very interesting thing that happens when the knob is just about all the way clock-wise,right now thats all I can say,because its hard for me to put into words what it does,but,man-oh-man is it nice....This pedal is a keeper,and like I said,I need another one:naughty:

EDIT: cant seem to get my pic uploaded.....I'll try again later.

3 people like this.
  20. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Thanks heaps for the overview B, it is exactly what I thought & hoped would be the case. :thumb:

Mine should arrive early next week. :fingersx:

Even though I have not received mine as yet, I can almost see the benfit of owning two of these if they have a wide variety of useful tones; i.e. as I mentioned above you could use two totally different settings to achieve two different tones.

:hmm:..............surprised that no one else on MLPF has commented about these.

:shock:............forgot.........it's a Secret. :naughty: :D

Cheers, Rudi

2 people like this.