Changing Kluson Tuners to er, Kluson Tuners ?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by scovell001, May 4, 2017.

1. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Hiya to all on the forum.

On my Trad I have Kluson Deluxe tuners with the nut on the front. Is it 'possible' to change these to the press fit Kluson Tuners as found on older LP's ?

2. chrisuk

chrisuk Senior Member

Yes but you might need some bushings as the bolt through tuners are fatter. Personally I wouldn't bother.

SparkyJones likes this.
  3. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Yeah, you'll need conversion bushings, which work fine and are readily available for under $10. Beware that sometimes the headstocks on guitars with screw-down bushings are thicker than those with press-fit ones and the vintage style Klusons may sit sort of deep in the headstock, such that the fluted parts of the shafts don't sit fully proud of the face of the headstock. They should still be functional, but the sunken look might annoy some folks.

4. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Brilliant,

Thanks guys. I feel a 'leave it alone' coming on !

Thanks again

5. moreles

moreles Senior Member

The threaded, screw-down ferrule tuners are more stable than the press-fit ones, so you're better off mechanically as-is, even if you do want the look of the pressed-in bushings. The conversion hardware does work, though. If you make the change, be careful removing and inserting hardware, as it's easy to lift off the finish around the post holes if you're careless. Having said this, I confess that I install Grover Rotomatics (old style) on all my Gibsons because I think Kluson tuners suck. I think their quality control may be much higher now, though I wouldn't know because I refuse to buy them ever again.

6. korus

korus Senior Member

Use wooden dowel for furniture to hammer bushings out from the back of the headstock, several mild hits till it moves/separates from the front of the headstock, to avoid damage.