Changed to 50s Wiring and Might've Smoked Something

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by RayTorvalds, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Tinpan

Tinpan Junior Member

Check your grounds. Hard to tell if the braided shields from the switch are grounded to their respective volume pots. Is the guitar ground wire (from the bridge) soldered to the neck volume pot?

RayTorvalds likes this.
  2. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

Thank you Tinpan. The guitar is working again. I just started over. The ground wire from the bridge was indeed soldered to the neck volume pot.
    Cheers :cheers2:

Tinpan likes this.
  3. no jimmy p

no jimmy p Junior Member

gotta love a happy ending .

Weldaar, RayTorvalds and syscokid like this.
  4. scottatgc

scottatgc Member

So how does it sound and respond, as far as the tone pots?

5. dmagazz

dmagazz Junior Member

i may be wrong, cant see all the pots connections well. but. make sure live vol is NOT directly connected to ANY "tone controls. tones get the end of the cap from the live and a link to groundl, only.. that is for 50's anyway

RayTorvalds likes this.
  6. syscokid

syscokid Junior Member

Excuse me for barging in, but... I noticed the OP has all that copper shielding in the cavity. Unless a Pot, or all the Pots are somehow isolated from the shielding, there's no need for that one continuous grounding wire from one of the volume pots, across the tone pots, and ending at the other volume pot. Less is more in this case. It was hard to tell in the pics if a stray strand of wire or funky soldering might have initially been the problem.

If this has already been discussed, I apologize... o_O

7. RayTorvalds

I don't think that was the case, syscokid. I checked for a strand touching the copper really well. Thanks for your input, though :thumb:

8. RayTorvalds

I'm very bad at describing a sound. But I feel they retain the highs more while changing the bottom end and low mids. Plus they have a pretty abrupt change at about 3-4.
    Before, when rolling off the tone pots, the highs would diminish more than now.
    I'm really liking it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  9. GermHerm

GermHerm Junior Member

Hi Ray, here are my 2 cents. What the '50s wiring is doing is the following: When you turn the tone pot from 10-0 in the first third you reduce only the resonance peak at approx. 3 kHz. In the second third you reduce the bandwidth (reduction of high frequencies) and in the last third you reduce the highs further but you generate a second resonance peak at approx. 2.3 kHz, sounds like a Wah.
    This is trune for a linear pot. If you use a log pot the effect can change dramatically to the positive (more linearity) or the the worse (using the wrong tappers).
    The sound effects vary with the position of the vol pot.

Usually, if all parts are connected correctly you should have a wonderful sound mixing tools for all LP-style instruments. All my instruments are '50s wiring.

Take a look here: . This is how '50s wiring sounds.

scottatgc and RayTorvalds like this.
  10. RayTorvalds

That is much better explanation. Well said, Germherm. And yeah, I know what you mean by those 3 stages of the tone pot. That last stage does indeed sound like a wah.
    I saw that video from Joe before, but thank you :thumb:
    My tone pots are tone = CTS TVT A500, volume = CTS TVT B500. I haven't delved into the practical difference between them.
    They were in the guitar when I bought it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  11. GermHerm

GermHerm Junior Member

RayTorvalds likes this.
  12. RayTorvalds

o_O sweet !! I love articles like that. More knowledge to (try to) absorb. Thank you very much GermHerm :cheers2:

GermHerm likes this.