Ceramic plus in Les paul standard

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by ThanosG, Jun 25, 2017.

1. ThanosG

ThanosG Junior Member

So my gold standard plays nice more thanni wouldnexpect but i just cant love the alnico v...Lowered them got them high and in between adjusted polepieces but i just cant get the sound i want.Too low too clear too high too muddy in between nothing special...So i thought what if i took the ceramics out of a special ii afd and do the swap???The ceramics have that nice spark whenndistorded kind of an 80s metal sound although they lack the darkness when doing blues.But the special is thin plywood.Maybe in the standard thick wood the will sound even better than i think.So i got them both to the luthier for the swap.I m getting them in afew days.Anyone pulled off something like that?Any opinions?

2. ThanosG

ThanosG Junior Member

Just in case someone reads it try it.Flush the neck pick up at the same height with the ring and the bridge about 2-3 mm above it.And enjoy.With a marshall combo and gain at six bass -2 middle about 8-9 treble 6 you get an ac/dc-whitesnake-ratt tone with volume and tone full.Higher the gain and you go from slayer to immortal.Neck pick up alla knobs at 10 bluesy gritty sound.All knobs at 6-7 woman tone.Middle position all knobs full sound ala witchfinder general.All knobs at 7 more of a Focus sound (something like Hocus Pocus olays nicely)Only down side with the bridge pick up you have to go with volume at about 2 to get a.n acoustic sound.Bottom line.A "hot pick up can be tamed.A vintage one doesnt play thrash without e very expencive tube amp and distortion pedals.