Centralab pots make a difference, WOW.

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Seanizle, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Sterling # Sound

Sterling # Sound Senior Member

There a few fences people stand behind in these types of arguments - similar to pickup changes, magnets, strings, hardware material - those who believe that changes can be heard, and those (often electricians!) who are certain that resistance is resistance.

I am dead certain that old Centralabs sound different to today’s pots. Why there is a change is speculation but I’m guessing that material properties were different , like carbon, metals which influence not just resistance but also magnetic properties, frequency spectrum, acting as filters to the sound.

The signal is so incredibly low to begin with, once you wack up an amplifier you will hear all the difference. If you blew up a minuscule ant to the size of an elephant you would notice that not all ants are the same ?

2. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

The small signal effect is actually the opposite of what you described. With the very low voltages and currents involved, the component behaves more like an ideal resistance not less. And guitar signals are very low level by just about any standard.

The amplification argument is a bit of a red herring. You wouldn't hear anything at all without the amplification. All that matters is the relative levels of the signal and the artifact in question.

3. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Sorry, I did not see this response until now (months later). The cabling or wire in a guitar can matter. Doesn't always, but often can. The more wiring the bigger the difference. Cabling has capacitance and the more cabling the more capacitance. This is like a very small tone cap going directly from the signal to ground. But, keep in mind that you often have 10-20 ft of guitar cable from your guitar to your amp which could easily overwhelm the effects of cabling in the guitar.

Also, less capacitance is not necessarily better. True that with lower capacitance more of the original guitar signal gets to the amp. But rolling off a bit of highs may sound better. Also, all these incapacitates interact with the inductance of the pickup to create a frequency peak. So it isn't even as simple as increasing or decreasing the high frequency.

But, bottom line, it is very possible you made an audible difference using different cable in the guitar.

4. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

I rarely take my 550k pots above 9, unless it’s a bass heavy riff like sunshine of your love.