Cascade X-15 Ribbon Mic Mods

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Freddy G, May 29, 2017.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

That's the feeling I got on Monday night. I went to see some friends of mine play in Toronto. A big band named The Orange Devils playing Count Basie all night. I was right in the front and let me tell you, when you hear a horn section like that going from velvet smooth pads to sock it to ya jabs to soloists ripping it up it's an unreal experience....well, like my friend said, it's because it is so real that it's almost unreal!

So the reason I was there was to scout out the logistics to record them live sometime later this summer.

Anyway.....yeah, I'll be using ribbons for sure on the horns. Just whipping up some new mics now....

DarrellV likes this.
  2. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Keep us posted!

I would like to hear how well they pick up nuances from a harp or glockenspiel, or a bassoon!

Like in Star Wars, there were many layers of instruments playing many overlapping and different things at the same time.

I would love to see if those mics could literally re-create the sonic space between the sound sources and open up the field to the listener..

Like watching fireworks across a sky vs seeing them on TV, only with sound.

Could we place the individual sections and hear the blend in real time airspace!

Did that make sense? Sometimes words are just useless, like now!