Caretaker LP clone Biggest neck ever!!?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Bluesky, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

OK....So I was over at another forum and I got a really sick price on this handmade LP clone. This exact guitar:

http://www.primeguitars.com/product/caretaker-les-paul-replica/

I didnt buy it from Prime. No way . But I got it from a dude who got it from a dude who bought it there. Seems this guitar was built by this guy over at a couple forums.he has a Wolf Tone set of pick ups named after him(the Caretakers).

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/warren-haynes-pickups-help-wanted.180727/

This guitar has the Wolfies in it. The neck is just retarded. I mean stupid huge. I have a R8 and a R9 I thought had big necks. They feel like a 62' SG next to this beast. I think it was measured at 1.25 ".

I can play it but I got it yesterday and my hands hurt some. Its just a monster. Other then that it just needs a personal set up. The back and neck are unfinished , It feels great , but down here in Florida the humidity is gonna wreck havoc on it if I dont get it protected some.

Hers my question. I got a local guy I'm thinking about bringing to have the neck shaved some. at least a 1/4 inch. I PMed the guy that built it. I'm not sure but I think he was offended that I wanted to shave it. Wrote me back once, no more. was def. against it. Wanted to get the back finished also.......possibly reliced. Anyone recommend anyone here?

I've done it on Fenders........I dont want to F this up. Cool guitar. Needs some TLC to get playable though. Who is a wizard at reshaping a neck and finishing it some?

Thanks............

2. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Nice guitar!
    I can totally see your point in shaving the neck.
    Theory and original state are one thing but playability is number one.
    Good luck in finding the right person to do it.
    May I suggest a progressive shave where you could try as it gets slimmer?

PermissionToLand and Bluesky like this.
  3. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

I took out all my guitars , I love them all, but I narrowed it down to one that had my favorite neck profile. I prefer it slim around .85 to a FAT .98 around the 12th fret. I have a R8 that goes .97 to .1.0 and a R9 thats .93-.98 . One thing about Gibsons, it is what it is. You either like the neck or you dont. Many of my Tele Pauls have been sanded . I literally take weeks in front of the T.V. with sand paper up and down the neck trying to show 30 yrs of wear in a few weeks. But it naturally conforms to my hand. This L.P. is going to ne my first attempt at doing the same with a Les Paul. I took a chance buying it......but the price was ridiculous. And I am very happy with its "bones". The top and color are fantastic. The Neck is just silly though.
    One thing......I've been playing it for 2 days now. My hands hurt some. But I played my other "big necked" guitars and they felt fast! This guitar is like a giant barbell. Maybe I should leave it as is for practice and slide? Lol.......

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  4. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

I know what you mean.
    I had a MIJ Strat with some floydian bridge with a neck I didn't feel quite comfortable with.
    A tad bit too wide and a flat radius.
    I didn't know (even feel!) all I know now but some day I picked up my even cheaper
    Les Paul copy and I was just flying on the neck, 200% better than on the Strat.
    That's when I decided that although it was a spectacular white, I was gonna sell that guitar!

Neck comfort is so important.

5. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

When I made it, the back and neck were finished in nitro, just like the top. Someone along the line must have stripped it.
    I like big necks and it was one that was actually made as a keeper, but life interferes and I coulsn`t keep it.

6. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

Like I said.......
    Its a cool guitar. You definitely have skills brother. :dude: And like I said ......this guitar was personal to you , so you say the word and Its yours for exactly what I paid. I wont touch a hair on its chinny chin chin. But if your over it......I'm giving it a make over . Very worth it. You must be 1 HUGE dude. Hands like a catchers mitt. I thought I liked the baseball bats........this one is a telephone pole!

7. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

Go ahead and make it your own. That's why you bought it.

Thumpalumpacus and Bluesky like this.
  8. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

I've had that one in my hands. I sold it on TGP years ago.

Here's my old Caretaker in the raw then after I had it refinished. Another monster neck. FB_IMG_1512412685366.jpg
    FB_IMG_1512412570614.jpg
    FB_IMG_1512412653568.jpg
    FB_IMG_1512412640265.jpg

9. rockinlespaul

The way it is now is the way I sold it, and I got it from you. You must have forgotten, this is the one that was originally a 12 string, so it was stripped to plug/fill/redrill tuner holes.

Bluesky likes this.
  10. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

Man, I wouldn’t tell anyone what to do with their own guitar, but as a big neck aficionado I would encourage you to try and really let it grow on you, you may be surprised?

11. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

Yes the plugs are there! Hmmmmmm I like that black headstock stinger! I might have to replace that look as well!

rockinlespaul likes this.
  12. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

You know what? I was playing it last night and my hands didn't hurt as much afterwards. And again......I am flying around my other guitars now. Not sure I can play it on a gig but its been fun to practice with.

rockinlespaul likes this.
  13. rockinlespaul

Just remember.... once your use to to that neck, all others will pale in comparison lol.

That's why I only like and play historics with big necks.

Duane_the_tub and Bluesky like this.
  14. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

Snapped this pic a little while ago as the sun was coming up :
    [​IMG]

Not going to touch that top. Love the color.

15. rockinlespaul

It does have a great vintage looking top and color.

I need to dig up pics. I have a bunch and I know I have pics of this one along with the others.

There were 6 Caretaker replicas made all together. Another guy on the forums owns mine, which is red now. Eek.

BTO up in Manitoba owns a killer top one too but that one needs a neck reset.

16. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

I didn't realize all the history to these. Making me feel really bad about modding it any. I may offer it to a huge neck lover here for exactly what I paid and if there are no takers........go forward with a clear conscious. :jb:

smk506 likes this.
  17. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

:applause::applause::applause:

Holler at me bro, my wallet is flatter than my first girlfriend, but the hell. Holler at me, you never know.

judson likes this.
  18. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

If you decide to get the neck reshaped, Steve Hague isn't far (Atlanta) and will do a stellar job, especially on the refinishing end. He also has a template for Max's "Fat 59" profile, which is the greatest neck shape ever put on a Les Paul.

Bluesky likes this.
  19. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

Last night I decided to give it a bit of a set up. Strings off I checked the pickups.....they are Wolftones , but not caretakers. They are Grey wolf's. Alinco 5s. I really wanted to try the caretaker becuase he explained they are a take on Peter Green tone which is exactly where I'm at. But these sound pretty stellar , more Slash otherwise, but I dig it.

One thing led to another and ........i took just a bit off the huge profile. It's still well over and 1", but that little bit really helped. I'm going to leave it like that for a while. Give it a really nice fret redress tonight . See how it feels. I might even attempt to spray the back. I'm slowly bonding with it. Took some cool pics of the long neck tenon when I had the neck Pick up out. Caretaker did a nice job. This is a very well made clone.

20. rockinlespaul

Grey Wolfe's are great pups. Sorry to hear about the neck....j/k... sorta. At least it killed any GAS I had left for it lol.

Enjoy!