Cardinal Luthierlac, Beware!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Duane.S, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Duane.S

Duane.S Member

For a long time I had been using Lawrence McFadden / Seagrave lacquer but had read good reviews of Cardinal Luthierlac, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I am also spraying my first sunburst using aniline dyes. I did many tests, fading them to get the colors correct. I am using Lockwood dyes and for the tests I was using Stewmac rattle can lacquer for convenience.

So, I sprayed a couple of clear coats of the Cardinal then the yellow toner and it looked fine. Then I sprayed a coat of the Cardinal lacquer over the yellow and it turned this amber orange!?! In this picture I've started to wipe it off but you can see that the yellow underneath looks somewhat correct. I sat one of my yellow tests on top.

[​IMG]

It was really interesting, as I sprayed the lacquer over the the yellow, It looked fine but as it started to dry, it turned orange. :dunno: I contacted LMI, who I bought it from but they hadn't heard of any issues and didn't have any ideas as to what happened. I thought that maybe I had sprayed too much yellow, so I did another test with less yellow and it also turned orange.

So, I've ordered some Mohawk String Instrument Lacquer to try next.

2. BleedingGums

BleedingGums Senior Member

Man, that is a bummer. Sucks to get so far just to realize that you now have to take a step back. On a positive note, nice top. Your yellow test color looks good, too.

3. cain61

cain61 Senior Member

Maybe you could try making an orange bust. Call it the "Orange Crush!"

4. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Banned

Is it the lacquer. Or is it the Dye? Lockwood

5. Duane.S

Duane.S Member

I see what you are saying, from the Lockwood site:

"They may be finished with varnish, shellac, lacquer, wax or oil, but reflect a different shade under each material, owing to the varying action of alcohol, oil, etc., on the soluble properties of the stain."

I can understand how the finish over the top of the dye can have an effect on the final color shade, but here the color changed. Something in the dye must have had a chemical reaction Cardinal lacquer? I have emailed both Lockwood and Cardinal asking them about this.

It is interesting that I didn't have this problem with the stewmac lacquer. I got some Mohawk lacquer yesterday, did a test and and it is fine. Is the stewmac stuff the same as Mohawk?

6. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Banned

Lockwood and Cardinal know their products better than I do so good call for mailing them.

One thing. I looked on the cardinal site and it says apply Vinyl Sealer before the lacquer. Maybe thats a possibility of why it reacted/oxidised/bleed or whatever. Cardinal

Hopefully by monday you'll have an answer - as much as PITA it is.